Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Looking at a flower differently:
264-1428348275-45f32c13a7cfb6644405f318baf26149.jpg

Director

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Here's a couple you may not have seen before, and a couple that you have. Still taken in situ with the Panasonic lumix non-slr camera.

The first one is a Nepenthes flower, the raceme about 30cm long and the flowers about 20mm diameter each. When opened they emit a very strong odour, nut unpleasant but not sweet either.

P1000344_zpszjt3dfvy.jpg

For those who aren't sure what a nepenthes is.

P1000345_zpso6i7swqn.jpg

And here's another, again the raceme is about 50cm long, the individual flowers (balls) are about 2-3mm.

P1000342_zpsjxyrzv7a.jpg

P1000343_zpsawf1aew2.jpg

Here's some ginger.

P1000338_zpskdpqhez3.jpg

And finally...another orchid, has a strong sweet smell, really nice but too overpowering for indoors. :)

P1000347_zpst3xbkamv.jpg

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Another using an unpopular lens type called the mirror lens:

oooo I've seen a few photos from someone else using a mirror lens and thought it was a bit weird (not so good), and then I went and read some stuff about them and came back to the photos and thought they looked good, a bit of a unique kind of look.

Last edited:

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
For those who aren't sure what a nepenthes is.
Fantastic images from the garden! We did have one of those nepenthes - I had no idea of the name (until now) got it from the Nambour garden expo... but it died on me a few months back :(

Director

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Fantastic images from the garden! We did have one of those nepenthes - I had no idea of the name (until now) got it from the Nambour garden expo... but it died on me a few months back :(

They like to live in Sphagnum (spelling? ) moss, plenty of water, light and NO feeding.

Ash

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
asmedical.webege.com
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
oooo I've seen a few photos from someone else using a mirror lens and thought it was a bit weird (not so good), and then I went and read some stuff about them and came back to the photos and thought they looked good, a bit of a unique kind of look.

They have a limited scope for use, mainly to use the donut out of focus highlights for creativity. Otherwise, it is a pretty ordinary telephoto lens.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Great colours, especially that last Camellia pic! We have a tough time growing them here for some reason they grow really well but don't flower much (the buds don't open)... :(

Jessica A

Premium Member
GOLD
Wow these photos are amazing! I need a macro lens so I can join in lol. This is my Iris I think it's called a Mississippi Iris.

Attachments

• iris.JPG
    iris.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 470
  • iris2.JPG
    iris2.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 354
  • iris3.JPG
    iris3.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 389

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Lovely Jessica - I see the Iris's are out everywhere at the moment now I'm wondering why I don't have any in my garden... :( Time to get some I reckon :thumbsup:

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
They say nature is imperfect but from those images above it's really hard to believe nature is anything but perfect.

The ground view of the mushroom is a top angle - it's very clear too! I also think the yellow orchard (or orchard looking) flower with the green grass and hills in the background is a standout - a peaceful shot...

Director

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Hey thanks , the green one is actually the flower of a pitcher plant. The second last photo is an orchid. :)

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
This is a Ceylon Hill gooseberry flower. The shrub is very ornamental and initially slow growing but the best thing is the small fruit it produces have been described as berries; however, I think they're more like tiny figs about the size of a blueberry and they taste like a fig also - quite sweet, very pleasant with small edible seeds.

I am yet to harvest enough to make a jelly but hopefully I will this season because I reckon it will make a cracking jam/jelly to go with cheese like quince does.

ceylon hill gooseberry flower.jpg

Top Bottom