Tawny Frogmouth....
tawny2.jpg

King Parrots...
DSC_4521.jpg

Steve

Valued Member
Premium Member
Great photos Stevo, very nice.
The Tawny has always been my favourite bird since I was in high-school bushwalking and the teacher pointed one out to me. Took me 5 minutes to see it!
I've never seen one in the wild since but I probably havent been looking too hard. So damn elusive!

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I don't know how you spotted that frogmouth to take a pic in the first place! Love the parrots too - so clear...

I found an injured frogmouth once in Albury and gave it to the wildlife dudes.

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
cheers, Apparently the Tawny Frogmouth is a regular tenant of that branch and one of the regular fellas at camp alerted me to it. There was two in the tree on different branches. They didn't budge all day so couldn't get them with their eyes open.

OskarDoLittle

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
DSC_0163.JPG

I'm a bit of an animal tragic...so I thought I'd post out resident Tawny. She nests in the gum tree about 5m in front of our living room most years (not this year unfortunately, so this is one of last year's brood). Before they leave the nest the chicks are just white "pom-poms" of fluff - VERY cute!

OskarDoLittle

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
DSC_0258.jpg

This is a "Little Red" fruit bat...seems to have mistaken the tiler's bucket (only about 20cm tall) for a roost.I'm hoping these little guys will help out with dragon fruit pollination...but then I'm also hoping they don't eat too much of my produce!

OskarDoLittle

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
IMG_0542.JPG

needless to say we put the sign up while the possum was out...very polite of him/her to make the plasterer's job of finding him quite simple.

OskarDoLittle

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I guess we are quite lucky, given it's the suburbs!
We have the UQ vet farm (pinjarra hills one) across the river, so we get "bird TV" every dusk when thousands of cockatoos come home to roost, just as the local fruit bats head out from the local golf course. Unfortunately we also have deer that destroy anything that's not fenced off (used to think they were lovely...can't stand them now - bit like Mark and the neighbours' dog!)
Have also spotted the odd echidna, but that's quite rare :)

Steve

Valued Member
Premium Member
At a wedding yesterday up at Mt Tamborine they had a bird feeding area that was just going off!
They all looked like they had their mean faces on with blue helmets. Such determined eyes....
Birds_1.jpg

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
That box looks about the size of those they make for possums to sleep in up trees.

OskarDoLittle

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Not so cute when they're eating your fruit and veg, but man, SOOOO cute when they're in your bee hive!!

OskarDoLittle

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Awwwww that's very cute. You know you've prob made a friend for life there! It does look quite little too.

Top Bottom