Why I like being an urban homesteader

cajun

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi. I am an urban homesteader because I live in an apartment and have a very small garden. It is a fun hobby and since I'm in my 60's I don't want to try to manage a big property. The physical side would not bother me but dealing wiith taxes and permits and neighbors would be too much stress.

So the creative challenge of seeing just how far I can push the self-sufficiency envelope in a small apartment is actually a lot of fun. Keeps me healthy, too.

Right now my efforts are limited to gardening and some wild food. I intend to start fishing since I can walk to the Nueces River and I'm also working on an indoor quail set-up. (Haven't got any quail, yet.)

Any other urban homesteaders out there? Any other Texans? :)

Flatland

Premium Member
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
Good for you. I'm all for people enjoying their way of life and not trying to live the way that other people think they should.
Ever seen the British comedy series "The Good Life"? Well worth a look

cajun

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Haven't seen that one but I have seen one called "Keeping Up Appearances" that was pretty funny in that sly sort of way that the Brits ate so good at.

Flatland

Premium Member
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
The Good Life was about Mr and Mrs Good who decide to live self sufficient lifes in a very mosh part of London. Keeping goats growing their veggies.

cajun

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Ah, the exact opposite of the comedy I saw :)

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Welcome to the site Cajun. The Nueces River looks awesome. Would be a nice place to hang out and fish. How much garden have you got, is it like a Court Yard kind of thing? The indoor Quail should be interesting.

cajun

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
0425171709a.jpg
0425171713_Burst01.jpg

It's just that strip.

I just planted green onions, carrots, dill, sweet peas, and okra. I have two cucumber vines off to a nice start, two cherry tomato and one roma tomato, black beans, strawberries, and malabar spinache.

That's the Gulf of Mexico in the distance, Nueces Bay.

Attachments

• 0425171709.jpg
    0425171709.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 614
Last edited:

cajun

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
It's hard to see because it is so windy today that I could'nt get a good view with my phone's camera. But that part that is surrounded by tbe palm-branches is a sunken composter and those sacks are old dogfood bags in which I planted potatoes. They form the beginning of a banked- up area to make it into a raised bed.

The garden is pretty sad right now because the maintenance man just painted the building and he didn't warn me to cover the plants and so I lost my brussels sprouts and I had to dig up part of one side.

He shouldn't have to paint again for a couple years! In another month it will be fully recovered.

Last edited:

Skippyherron

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Cajun! What a great fence you have for growing veggies up! Have you thought about doing sprouts indoors? xx kel

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
That's the Gulf of Mexico in the distance, Nueces Bay.
Wow, cool!

You're making a good use of space there. How about a passionfruit vine up that fence? I reckon it would love that spot at the back. :)

Top Bottom