What to grow ?

Jnel

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
We are on a 1/4 acre residential block, and the back yard has on one side a big shed - then on the other side a mango tree. We are wanting to put some form of garden around the fence boundary of the mango tree, looking for suggestions on what will grow there ? It gets the western sun.

Attachments

• Back yard.jpg
    Back yard.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 115
  • Back yard 1.jpg
    Back yard 1.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 123

KW1989

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Well congrats on having a mango tree lol. About how many hours of sun would you say the area gets every day?

Reactions: DTK

Jnel

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Well congrats on having a mango tree lol. About how many hours of sun would you say the area gets every day?

I would say from 2pm the sun, so a good 4 hours. Love my mangos - collecting bottles for end of year spicy chutney.

DTK

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I guess there are many things to grow and depends which produce / appearance you want to achieve. If along a fence boundary you could try choko or passionfruit. If you have a garden bed there, then maybe choose from a range of vegetables from gardenate.com.au. Good luck.

Jnel

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I guess there are many things to grow and depends which produce / appearance you want to achieve. If along a fence boundary you could try choko or passionfruit. If you have a garden bed there, then maybe choose from a range of vegetables from gardenate.com.au. Good luck.
We have a passionfruit vine along the back fence, it's struggling a bit as it appears our neighbour doesn't like passionfruit. Choko - that's a good idea, and great in pickles.

KW1989

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I would say from 2pm the sun, so a good 4 hours. Love my mangos - collecting bottles for end of year spicy chutney.
4 hours might make it difficult for some vegetables.. first thing that popped to mind for me for an area like that was herbs, as they seem to like or are better able to tolerate less sun. Unfortunately I cant recommend any yet as I'm still establishing my main raised bed / veggie area and havent began focusing on herbs.

I believe lettuce does ok with less sun. Things like corn though would struggle heavily with only 4 hours. You could always plant some stuff in pots too to see if they grow ok over there? Then just move them some place else if not

DTK

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
We have a passionfruit vine along the back fence, it's struggling a bit as it appears our neighbour doesn't like passionfruit. Choko - that's a good idea, and great in pickles.
Sorry to hear of neighbour’s position on passionfruit. I like them. A year or so ago my neighbour had vine growing like crazy. He sent a Shute my way and we enjoyed many fine fruit.

Currently our choko vine is growing so well but no fruit yet.

Best of luck

Dan

Top Bottom