Native Bee Workshops

Letsgokate

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
letsgotravelaustralia.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Starting a new thread so we can have an ongoing post about any Native Bee workshops or other events, community or otherwise, that relate to native bees, or where there will be info on native bees.

Creating a sweet treat
Fancy having your own honey factory at your place? Stingless bees are highly social insects, with one queen and thousands of workers who live together in a protected place. Join Tim Heard to learn all about these wonderful creatures!

Date
25th Oct 2015
Time
9.30am - 3.30pm
CREEC Environmental Centre - 150 Rowley Road, Burpengary
Cost
$35.00 per Adult
Contact
Moreton Bay Regional Council
Ph: (07) 5433 2122

https://www.moretonbay.qld.gov.au/general.aspx?id=4294969400

I'm booked into this one :)

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Was an interesting day at the bee workshop. Tim transferred a Hockingsi hive from a log to a box.

I didn't meet Kate, there was 40 people there and I didn't know what Kate looked like. I left at the lunch break as I had things to do.

a few photos from the day here: http://nativebeehives.com/?p=1282

timheard_25102015_1.jpg

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Maybe a similar size but it was hard to retrieve in tact because of the way it was constructed in the log, Tim broke it up a little. The brood was in a couple of pieces which he stacked in the bottom of the box, and put some other hive structure in around it to support it. He left a fair bit of structure and resources out as he felt it wasn't needed or retrievable.

The log was rotten and may have fallen apart within a few years so that's why he did it. He suggested if you find one in a log it's best to leave it in the log unless there's a problem.

Top Bottom