Geo

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi Mark, Hi all!

I live at the edge of a relatively small town in my country with my wife and 2 kids and, while we keep the ground for lawn and kids play activities (minus a few fruit trees) I've always wanted to have and maintain a garden above ground level.

This year I've started work and experiments on the platform above my garage and so far it's doing great. It's just pots now, but I plan to fill it with raised beds and have my veggies garden completely off the ground.

I've attached a small preview section (the garage is not finished and no rail is present - yet)

Attachments

• IMG-20200507-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20200507-WA0003.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 388

Vicky

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hello and welcome Geo, growing in pots is fantastic, even if you have a if garden, pots still should have their rightful place in every garden. Looks like the pots will be safe there for now, being up a bit higher may mean less bug attacks?

Geo

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Welcome, pots are great for experiments. What are you growing at the moment?
Hi Andrew!

I'm currently attempting a few vegetables (I have some old pictures, I'm trying more things now) - I have cucumbers, bush tomatoes, carrots, chives, parsley, radishes (now going to seed), cabbage, eggplant, spring onions and lettuce. I have cehrry tomatoes sprouted but it's one month since they haven't grown at all (staying at sprout height) and some peppers that haven't sprouted at all.

Also I've built a DIY tumble composter which is working fine.

Attachments

• IMG-20200507-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20200507-WA0001.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG-20200507-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20200507-WA0000.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG-20200507-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20200507-WA0005.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG-20200507-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20200507-WA0002.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 164

Geo

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hello and welcome Geo, growing in pots is fantastic, even if you have a if garden, pots still should have their rightful place in every garden. Looks like the pots will be safe there for now, being up a bit higher may mean less bug attacks?

Hi Vicky, thank you!

Thus far yes, bugs seem to not attack my plants as much. But there are pests though, just fewer of them. People here are very skeptical with what I'm doing... in our country agriculture has been developed for centuries and some families (including my own when I was a kid) grow huge gardens with a ton of produce. But they are doing things "the old way" that's been done for many maaany years. I want to try potting/raised beds/no ground underneath/composting/mulching etc. and so far - I'm happy :)

Vicky

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I don't think it will be too long before you get great harvests from your rooftop garden Geo!!
if you go onto you tube, another great Chanel for gardening is this one

Geo

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi Vicky!
Thank you for the suggested channel :)

As for the rooftop garden, we have devoured all radishes and spring onions, now munching in on the baby carrots and baby lettuce. Tomatoes have formed fruit which is currently growing. It's a happy ecosystem over there :)

GKW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
G'Day and welcome.

Nice use of the recycled pallet. :twothumbsup:

Reactions: Geo
Top Bottom