Garlic 2021 season

JoshW

Premium Member
GOLD
Mar 29, 2020
Albury, NSW
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Given the success of the Italian purples I planted last season, I decided to have a more serious attempt this year.

I sought 5 additional varieties (mixed bags from The Garlic Clinic), not sure I planted all 5 as some of the bulbs were too small to bother, but that's OK I'll munch those.

All together I planted 275 cloves, just a few more than the 35 I threw in willy nilly last season.

For soil preparation I followed advice from Tasmanian Gourmet Garlic. I added composted cow manure blend, some Seamungus pellets and some blood & bone (with potash).

I soaked the cloves overnight in seasol, powerfeed and bicarb/baking soda (2 caps each and 1 tablespoon of bicarb into 4L warm water).

Planted in rows of 5-7, spaced 10-15cm depending on clove size, rows 25cm apart (long, thin bed) - see spacing here (Tas GG).

Mulched with nice layer of sugar cane mulch.

7 days later the first bits of green found their way through. Now every time I go outside there seems to be more and more garlic the longer you look.

I'll try and keep this updated (good or bad) throughout the season, but please feel free to share your own garlic crops in here, methods and cultivars used etc.

I'll come through and add pictures when I get some time.

Thanks, happy gardening

Last edited:
Reactions: BackyardG and lisag

BackyardG

Apr 21, 2021
Melbourne VIC
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I have just planted my garlic from Tasmanian Gourmet Garlic a few days ago. This is my first time growing garlic so here's hoping it all goes well.
Did the soaking with 5% alcohol solution as advised by them.
Planted about 80 cloves, some were small but can't hurt to try.
Spacing of around 15cm apart with 15 cm rows. Curious to see how big they will grow in a more compact spacing.

Different climate to yours (cold south east Melbourne here)

Happy Gardening :)

Reactions: JoshW

JoshW

Premium Member
GOLD
Mar 29, 2020
Albury, NSW
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I have just planted my garlic from Tasmanian Gourmet Garlic a few days ago. This is my first time growing garlic so here's hoping it all goes well.
Did the soaking with 5% alcohol solution as advised by them.
Planted about 80 cloves, some were small but can't hurt to try.
Spacing of around 15cm apart with 15 cm rows. Curious to see how big they will grow in a more compact spacing.

Different climate to yours (cold south east Melbourne here)

Happy Gardening :)
I think your spacing is ok. I planted around the same (perhaps a bit tighter even) last year to great result. The only reason I went so wide on the rows was to line them up with centre of a brick. I was going to do the vodka soak, but couldn't bring myself to buy a cheap bottle that I'd have to suffer through, maybe next season :)

Tasmanian GG indicates 15 x 15cm spacing will result in medium to large bulbs - I've linked in original post

Last edited:
Reactions: BackyardG

JoshW

Premium Member
GOLD
Mar 29, 2020
Albury, NSW
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Around 2 weeks in the ground now, a few spacings a bit sloppy but the germination rate has been 100%. The Russian elephant garlic (or leek - whatever camp you're in) took the longest to show its head.

JoshW

Premium Member
GOLD
Mar 29, 2020
Albury, NSW
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
So we're about 5 weeks in now - we've had some pest pressure in the form of my 3 year old and some bamboo stakes. I have some more garlic down the back yard to get photos of, it has more sunlight but not doing as well.

Reactions: Spud05