Fence out of pallets

Vivienneleroux

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
We've been working on a fence out of free wood pallets, trying in vain to keep the new pup out of the woods. So far it's been working great, hardly cost anything, and I'll be able to plant things in the top of the pallets!

Attachments

• 20191216_165356.jpg
    20191216_165356.jpg
    426.6 KB · Views: 360

Wedgetail

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Vivienneleroux nice job on the fence looks great and cheap is good. Dave

GKW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Here here...nice way to re-purpose something what just usually lies around an industrial estate or used for the fireplace.

Mark did a great vid or two on planting out pallets with fruit and veg. Worth a watch.

Best wishes

Greg W

Vivienneleroux

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Here here...nice way to re-purpose something what just usually lies around an industrial estate or used for the fireplace.

Mark did a great vid or two on planting out pallets with fruit and veg. Worth a watch.

Best wishes

Greg W

That's where I got the idea to plant stuff in the top of them!

Reactions: GKW

Nian-Shing

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Will you use the pallet-built fence as a grow bed to plant something or it will only serve as a fence? Not quite sure from reading the descriptions.

Joan

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Love this. We have black bears that wonder around the woods behind our house. I bet this could help deter them. ( unless they are REALLY hungry lol)

Vivienneleroux

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Will you use the pallet-built fence as a grow bed to plant something or it will only serve as a fence? Not quite sure from reading the descriptions.

I plan on planting pollinator friendly/attracting flowers and plants in the tops of the pallets as the fence runs close to my garden. I also hear droning or humming coming from the woods at times so I'm wondering if there isn't a bee colony back there already.

Netdaseda

Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
We had a similar challenge with our new pup, and those little explorers can be quite the escape artists, can't they? So, we decided to roll up our sleeves and build a fence out of those free wood pallets we managed to gather.

It turned out to be a fantastic project. Not only did it save us a ton of money, but it also added a charming rustic touch to our yard.

And speaking of sprucing up outdoor spaces, if you ever want to take it a step further, I'd recommend checking out places specializing in garden furniture. We did that recently and found some incredible pieces that really elevated our outdoor vibe. You can just click for more info and start exploring.

Bushboy

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
Love this. We have black bears that wonder around the woods behind our house. I bet this could help deter them. ( unless they are REALLY hungry lol)
Yikes! Americas full of animals that want to eat you.

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
@Bushboy at least you'd hear the bear coming. Here in Australia we might be attacked before you even know it. Gosh, the amount of times I've seen snakes (and even stood on by accident - and got lucky they didn't bite!)

MountainWard

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
We bought 200 acres of land 22 years ago and had little left after that. I used pallets for all kinds of things building our farm up. I found pallets to be the only effective means of fencing our milk goat herd. Nothing like 100 goats running the neighborhood..

I did it a bit more simply as I needed to move fencing regularly to keep areas eaten down. I would drive a 5 foot tpost in the ground wire a pallet to it then wire the other side to another pallet and drive in a tpost beside that one. I could build hundreds of feet of fence a day this way and take it down as quickly and easily as I put in.

I also built my animal buildings out of pallets as well. I would lay down two pallets end to end and nail a 1 x 6 up each side and make 3 ft 4 inch by 8 foot panels. Three sets of panels created a ten foot long 8 foot tall wall. I was able to build a 13 x 16 foot building from start to finish in about 6 hours time using pallets and covering them with cheap salvage tin. The floors of the buildings were pallets on logs cut into beams with a chainsaw covered over with tin and the roof was pallet panels as well covered by tin. Made great sturdy buildings for little to nothing in cost.

I also made green houses out of pallets and covered them with heavy clear plastic rather than tin, I used them as movable chicken coops in the winter and then in the spring I used them to start plants.

I even made a hay barn out of pallets by cutting 1/8 inch by 1 inch wide steel pieces and drilling them and mounting the ends of pallets together with them. I them formed into a half circle and stood them up one section at a time mounting each row to the former row. Basically making a quonset hut. I then covered it over with tarp and voila 20 foot tall 20 foot wide by 40 foot long hay barn..

Pallets are an awesome building material.

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I've been thinking of putting up a pallet fence myself too 🤔

I'm wondering how I'm going to keep them upright along the lengthier stretches though. Perhaps with star pickets we have from the electric cow fence..,

MountainWard

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
I used the tpost method most of the time myself. When I made my horse corals I put the pallet fence up and then I created v's with pallets on the outside of the fence up against and wired to the flat straight pallet fence. Then I threw some leftover road fabric from making the driveway and road into the v'd pallets and filled them with dirt. This made an incredibly stout fence and gave me many v shaped planters on the outside of the horse pen. Another method I used was to cut poles from small trees and tree tops in my forests and I sunk an 8 foot post 3 feet into the ground every other pallet and then lagged the pallets into the posts. Then I strung electric wire around the inside of the posts to gain a couple feet of fence height as the pallets are only 4 feet tall.

Top Bottom