Question Equipment / Jars Recommendations Fermentation (UK based)

Ezyesta

Premium Member
Apr 11, 2020
United Kingdom
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hello

I was just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for what types of jars to use when choosing to ferment. I've not really fermented anything before, but it looks interesting and I would like to give it a go, I'm just worried about getting the wrong style equipment, as I have seen a couple of different things that people are using, but I don't know if it matters whether people are using vinegars or using salt to preserve.

Also, any recommendations for a book that is a good guide on this/has some good recipes I am all ears.

Thanks

Esther

Reactions: Mary Playford

Kleinewespe

Apr 3, 2021
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi Esther,

I would suggest to get some KORKEN jars from Ikea. It is good quality and cheap, the lids are removable for fermentation then back when the product is ready. For weight the easiest way is to use the plastic bag method. This would be an easy set up.
For lacto fermentation you use salt, for pickling you use vinegar (not that simple but these are the main principles). Lacto fermented foods are waaay more better for your health and guts than pickles. The fermentation bible is Sandor Ellix Katz: The art of fermentation, it is a great book to have, but you can find many recipes online.
Fermentation is my passion, so if you have any more questions I am here to help :)

Marietta