Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
They were all raised like on big hatch Mark.
I had 16 birds on the syringe at one time and if you thought baby was a handful you are wrong.
I'd walk out of the room and 6 birds would be trying to all land on the one shoulder.
I would tell anyone to raise one, it really is therapeutic.
The
Owl.
The Goldfish was almost 2cm long when I got him, named him Big Fella and he lived 8yrs and grew to this size.
The green & red parrot is a young Crimson Rosella named Pugsley, he could whistle better than me, talked to himself like a madman.
Geez the memories........
View attachment 337
You should see the grin on my face reading this post - it's a laugh (in a good way). Brilliant :D And, you sure have a way with names...

16 birds on the go by hand and I thought I had it tough hatching out 50 quail once - that's nothing compared to hand raising 16 parrots and budgies by syringe!

There was a hobby farm/pet shop over in Caboolture (but it went bust) and they used to often have their baby parrots at the counter with them as they served customers. The little guys would be walking around on the cash register etc - funny as. The hand raised birds were quite a bit more to buy than the untamed and I guess that's because a lot of work goes into raising them?

Greyyowl

Premium Member
You should see the grin on my face reading this post - it's a laugh (in a good way). Brilliant :D And, you sure have a way with names...

16 birds on the go by hand and I thought I had it tough hatching out 50 quail once - that's nothing compared to hand raising 16 parrots and budgies by syringe!

There was a hobby farm/pet shop over in Caboolture (but it went bust) and they used to often have their baby parrots at the counter with them as they served customers. The little guys would be walking around on the cash register etc - funny as. The hand raised birds were quite a bit more to buy than the untamed and I guess that's because a lot of work goes into raising them?
Glad someone gets a laugh out of them Mark.
I think the easiest and quietest of them to hand raise would be the Quarrion. I used to sell a lot to pay for feed etc.
PS. If you look closely at the goldfish pic, you will see a craybob in the bottom left corner, almost forgot about him. I really went outside the box when I named him Bobby.

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
phone pic from today, my neice and one of her silkies (i put the sunnies on her as a disguise, incase she didn't want to be seen publicly with a chicken on her head)

shackers.net_images_photosother_silkiehead.jpg

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Beautiful looking duck. I've got khaki Campbell's and they look very similar! Some of my chickens are pretty tame but most won't let people just pick them up - I need to work on that. :)

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Are they settling in ok?

It's like putting some new inmates in jail, they all have to sort out the pecking order. There's a fair bit of standing around staring at each other, and a few threats and pecks from a couple of the current bullies.

Steve

Valued Member
Premium Member
Great photo Mark.
I picked up a 'chicken' book at the book shop the other day and the wife was picking out all the cute chickens she wants.
Can't wait to have a chicken family of my own....

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Great photo Mark.
I picked up a 'chicken' book at the book shop the other day and the wife was picking out all the cute chickens she wants.
Can't wait to have a chicken family of my own....
You guys will love them mate :twothumbsup: We saw some awesome birds at the Ekka the other day - spent about an hour looking at all the different breeds. There were so many I wanted but I'd really like to get a Plymouth Rock (or two) next. The feather patterns and colours are magic...

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I was working in the shed today... Terry the chicken jumped up in to the window so I grabbed a pic with the phone. She did this three times, like she was looking for something, jumped on to the bench then off and out the door, then eventually wondered off to lay an egg in the chicken coop.

shackers.net_images_photos_chickenwindowweb1.jpg

shackers.net_images_photos_chickenwindowweb2.jpg

Tim C

Two heads are better than one
Premium Member
GOLD
Aww, bugger it. I've got the coops already, so I might have to get a few chooks I s'pose. Youz blokes are a BAD INFLUENCE ! :D

Top Bottom