Question Chromebook could it be your next laptop?

Mark

Founder
Staff member
May 27, 2012
Bellmere, QLD
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Reactions: stevo

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Jun 13, 2013
Clontarf, Qld
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I just looked through the Samsung model. Price is good, but may not be suitable for all my stuff.

Here's some general info about the concept: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromebook

So looks like it's all based around being online and only doing online stuff, browsing?, online website editing?, facebook etc? I guess there's more online applications for doing things?

Things I'm a bit suspect on, it only has a 16gb hard drive and you get 100gb of "cloud storage" vaild for two years. I have lots of software I use, so as I understand it I couldn't load it on that machine because of the operating system and size of the drive.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
May 27, 2012
Bellmere, QLD
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I just looked through the Samsung model. Price is good, but may not be suitable for all my stuff.

Here's some general info about the concept: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromebook

So looks like it's all based around being online and only doing online stuff, browsing?, online website editing?, facebook etc? I guess there's more online applications for doing things?

Things I'm a bit suspect on, it only has a 16gb hard drive and you get 100gb of "cloud storage" vaild for two years. I have lots of software I use, so as I understand it I couldn't load it on that machine because of the operating system and size of the drive.
Right... I didn't look into it too much but I was thinking the easy updates and OS were it's biggest assets. If it works like a big mobile but has the features of a keyboard etc and was really stable it's pretty interesting. Of course, it would need to run all those programs we currently use and that's where it might fall down as you say.

Cloud storage is all good but running software like big video and photo programs is what I need so the cloud won't help me do that successfully ATM.

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Jun 13, 2013
Clontarf, Qld
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
yeah I guess it'd be just like a big mobile. My phone has 16gb storage, and I have apps on it like FTP, document scanner, so I guess there might be apps you could get for it?

Out of interest, do you get mobile reception at your place/property? Do you have wireless net or fixed line? My wireless use modem just uses the mobile network which.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
May 27, 2012
Bellmere, QLD
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Out of interest, do you get mobile reception at your place/property?
Unfortunately, we only get wireless out here which makes it difficult at times to run a website :(

Looking forward to the NBN :hysterical: (like that's ever going to happen)

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Jun 13, 2013
Clontarf, Qld
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Have you got an antenna connected to your modem? I've got a small antenna that helps a fair bit when i'm out camping. The business next door to me at work here sells big and small antennas for all kinds of stuff.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
May 27, 2012
Bellmere, QLD
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Yeah I've got a whip antenna mounted on the roof. Speed is ok but it will never beat fixed (in the near future anyway) plus it's the usage @ $170 for only 25 gig that also is unfair when the next suburb has 250 g for about $30...

That's my bitch for the day :)