'Christmas comet' 46P/Wirtanen and the Geminids meteor shower

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
https://www.abc.net.au/news/science...pwirtanen-and-geminids-meteor-shower/10583932

Rather than me try to convey what was written in the extensive science article, read for yourself where to find these beauties during this coming week in the late night or early morning eastern sky.
Plus how to photograph them.

Good luck with your photos.
I thought I might be able to see the comet tonight but there is light cloud cover here in SE Qld.
We are expecting a fair bit of rain during this coming week from the ex-cyclone up north so there's a good chance I will miss the whole comet/germinids event. :cry2:

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I had a look for the comet tonight at 11:10pm.

I can just see it if I dont look at it but use my periferal vision.
Orion is about 50-60degrees up at 11:10pm straight in front of my place so almost in the north.
The comet is a bit more than a handspan towards the horizon from orions belt and a tiny bit to the right. Its a big very dull spot now, but apparently will be much brighter next week. Supposed to get almost as big as the moon but nowhere near as bright.

As the week goes by it will get lower towards the horizon so could be harder to see if there is dust etc.
My camera wont get a photo of it unfortunately as it is now. But maybe next week if theres no rain to cloud the sky, it might get bright enough.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I remember going to see Halley's Comment (I think) up at Picnic Point Toowoomba with my mum in the 80's it was a pretty big event from memory!

Top Bottom