Mark

Founder
Staff member
May 27, 2012
Bellmere, QLD
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Here is an Australian Crested Hawk I took sitting in a gum and pine tree in my backyard. I love the piercing eyes and gun barrel feathers - beautiful bird. These guys eat frogs and rodents but I'm sure my quail attracts them also.

Australian crested hawk bird looking at me.jpg
Australian crested hawk bird profile.jpg

Steve

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jun 5, 2013
Brisbane Australia
Great pics Mark.
That first pic is almost like a cartoon pose... looking straight down the barrel. Love it. It's eyes and chest markings are very cool.
There's a question, can birds like that with eyes on the sides of their heads see straight ahead or do they need to turn side on to get a look at you?
Just wondering.....

Mark

Founder
Staff member
May 27, 2012
Bellmere, QLD
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
There's a question, can birds like that with eyes on the sides of their heads see straight ahead or do they need to turn side on to get a look at you?
Just wondering.....
Cheers Steve - I try my best at getting a good pic hopeful of future improvements (Stevo's teaching me a few pro-tips) ;)

Yes, I've wondered that too about birds looking straight. My guess is (and it's totally a guess) that birds actually can look straight like the pic with excellent accuracy almost like a telescope. The eyes being close should give them a good focal point I'd imagine. I see this with my chickens everyday when they are looking for food; at times, their beaks are just inches from the ground yet they see the smallest bits of food. When an eagle or threat shows they will look directly at it and where their beaks point is usually where the threat is.

However, if I am just walking around they'll happily eyeball me with one eye and watch me (usually just in case I go to the feed bin so they can swamp me). I'd say the "one-eye" would be a routine way they look around and also a way to have good peripheral when escaping predators and the "both-eyes" would be for when they need to analyse something more closely.

Reactions: Steve

Steve

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jun 5, 2013
Brisbane Australia
Ah, isn't nature wonderful.
We humans are so advanced but sometimes I marvel at the simplest animal/insect or whatever with the 'technology' they have onboard.
Like some of those deep sea animals that glow luminescence or the octopus that can mimic its surroundings. Makes me think we are a bit 'basic' in our make-up sometime.
All creatures great and small....amazing.

Here endith my philosophical rantings. :)

Reactions: Mark