Young family gardening

Snowemu

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hello!
Finally bit the bullet and joined up. I started watching Mark and his YouTube channel this time last year when I was pregnant with our daughter. We wanted to start gardening again to teach our daughter about the importance of being outside, as well as to share our love of being outdoors.

we’re based on the east bayside of brissy. Anyone else out there with young family and is growing a veggie patch too? Our daughter is 7 months old now and absolutely loves being in the garden. And she’s starting to eat some of the things we’ve been growing which is awesome!

Any tips and tricks on keeping your kids interested in the garden? We’ve got 3 garden beds and a few fruit trees. We’ve been thinking of trying composting and/or worm farming but we have 2 beagles which makes that hard.

big thanks to Mark for his videos cause without them I don’t think we would have had the confidence to give it a go again. We have learnt so much!

Reactions: GKW

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
G'day Snowemu and thanks for joining SSC we have a lot of people becoming members of our forum at the moment so please forgive the time delay in promoting you to Premium but I have to do this manually in order to keep spam under control. Remember to interact via posting or creating threads to get and retain your Gold status and this enables other privileges such as the ability to enter competitions. I hope to interact more myself with you and others in the future. Cheers :)

Snowemu

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Thanks Mark, I will for sure. Keen to get some advice around keeping certain pests at bay, we have a stink bug problem on our citrus trees. I’ll have look through some of the forums

taisla97

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
You might be interested in following Poppys_Patch on Instagram. Although Poppy is much older than 7mths, it may still give you some ideas on how to include children.
In any way, children generally do what their parents do "monkey see, monkey do" so as long as you show interest in the garden, your little one should as well.
I suggest just spending that time out there together before she gets more hands-on with the actual plants (let her play in the dirt though), and as she gets older she will show more interest. Tip: probably don't take to trimming plants in front of any children until they understand the purpose, or one day they'll go outside to play and you'll find the plants have had a heavy duty hair cut.:chop::shock: Anyway, good luck with it. :goodluck:
Also, playing in the dirt builds up immunity! :twothumbsup:

Snowemu

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Great idea! Thanks! Yeah I do follow poppy on insta
She loves playing in the grass at the moment

Top Bottom