Question Will this apple seedling produce fruit?

alter ego hank

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I was eating a Pink Lady apple about a month ago and there was a seed in it which appeared to have germinated so I planted it in a tray of good potting mix and it has sprouted nicely. My question is, as a tree, will it produce apples?
I am new to gardening and would be rapt if it did produce fruit in x number of years time.

pink lady seed.jpg

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
No, sorry. Pink Ladys, as with pretty much all apples you buy in the grocery stores, are hybrids or grafts.
The seeds are sterile or useless.
Think about how much time you will spend caring for that seedling over the next 7yrs until it fruits then put a dollar value on all that effort and time.
If it comes out at around $50 and you actually want fruit, then it is cheaper to bite the bullet and buy yourself a grafted apple tree that will grow in a big pot. It will have been grafted onto dwarfing rootstock to keep it short to about 1.5m.
You can then take it everywhere with you, even on nights out if you have a trolley :p:heart:

And in 4yrs time you will be getting nice juicy apples rather than heartbreak.

alter ego hank

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Thank you ClissAT. I suspected as much but wasn't sure. I saw Marks potato video so I assume it doesn't apply to everything, but anyway, your suggestion is sensible.

Nikadermis

Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
The fact that it's growing means it might make a good tree someday, but the fruit it provides may not be exactly the same as what you ate. I think it might make a great conversation piece as it get's bigger and will be a surprise if/when it ever does fruit. But I'm a big fan of "volunteer" plants, so I'm not as serious as many gardeners on this site.
Good luck.

Sam Jones

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
During Victorian times, people grew apple trees from seed as a hobby and curiosity. Bad tasting new varieties could be made into alcohol or fed to pigs. Sometimes a good new variety would be created.

You could let the tree grow and graft a known cultivar onto it if you can find a good apple tree anywhere. I’ve heard that apple trees will grow into monster sizes when not using a dwarfing rootstock. I’d love to do it if I had the room!

Top Bottom