When is the best time to start seed?

Pamelambie

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I live in Pennsylvania, I'd love to start some plants for my garden from seed this year (as opposed to buying plants like the previous 4 years). When should I start seed? Any recommendations on what to use as a small greenhouse, too? Our indoor space is... Tight lol

GKW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Check out this website. Select your region / zone and then look at the month by month sowing / seeding / planting tips.

https://www.gardenate.com/

I signed up to this site and get their monthly reminders on what to start and how. Works well.

JPAT

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I use the clyde's garden planner and the farmer's almanac as a quick reference. But basically I just find my last frost date and count backwards from there. I like to do a run of cold weather crops super early... sometimes as much as a month before and then transfer them out under cover during the cold. My heat loving plants I stick pretty close to the recommended weeks or play it on the safer side and start them "just on time".

Pamelambie

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I use the clyde's garden planner and the farmer's almanac as a quick reference. But basically I just find my last frost date and count backwards from there. I like to do a run of cold weather crops super early... sometimes as much as a month before and then transfer them out under cover during the cold. My heat loving plants I stick pretty close to the recommended weeks or play it on the safer side and start them "just on time".

What do you cover them with? And is it covered all the time?

Karla

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I live in Pennsylvania, I'd love to start some plants for my garden from seed this year (as opposed to buying plants like the previous 4 years). When should I start seed? Any recommendations on what to use as a small greenhouse, too? Our indoor space is... Tight lol
I live in a small house to so what I did was put my seed in their pots then set the pot into a clear plastic bag and twist tied it shut after watering. This acts as a miniture green house and is also a great way to root cuttings. I use a big enough pot I can put several seeds in then thin later.

JPAT

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
What do you cover them with? And is it covered all the time?
I use a agrobon type fleece material as a floating row cover suspended over the plants with hoops. The material is breathable and can still let rain penetrate at a very slow rate. If snow is expected I will cover with my greenhouse plastic to keep the weight off the plants. I keep them covered until frost dangers are over. Then I can repurpose the row cover for a really susceptable crop to pests like my squash.

JPAT

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I live in a small house to so what I did was put my seed in their pots then set the pot into a clear plastic bag and twist tied it shut after watering. This acts as a miniture green house and is also a great way to root cuttings. I use a big enough pot I can put several seeds in then thin later.
Great idea. This is a take on winter sowing that I hadn't thought of!

Ben_Stillson

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Check out this website. Select your region / zone and then look at the month by month sowing / seeding / planting tips.

I signed up to this site and get their monthly reminders on what to start and how. Works well.
Wow! So glad that I found this. Thanks so much

TarynS.

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I love winter sowing! It’s a great option for hardy perennials! It lets the seeds naturally stratify (the coating on the seed cracks with the natural freeze/thaw cycles in winter). Other than that you need to look at your last frost date of the year in your zone. Then, 6 weeks before that date you can start seeds inside or inside a good greenhouse.

LisaN

Kalgoorlie West Aus
Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
OMG!! Just watched his video and now I want one. What an amazing gadget, now if only there was an Australian one![/QUOTE

Karla

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I love winter sowing! It’s a great option for hardy perennials! It lets the seeds naturally stratify (the coating on the seed cracks with the natural freeze/thaw cycles in winter). Other than that you need to look at your last frost date of the year in your zone. Then, 6 weeks before that date you can start seeds inside or inside a good greenhouse.
A lot of times it will tell you on the back of seed packs when to sow indoors or if it is a direct planting. I bought one of those really small green houses with the plastic cover and put it in my dining room. Sort of tight but figure I could manage for a couple of months. I did find that using a heat mat did help the seeds germinate and if you get the seed starter kits with the plastic lids they are mini green houses you can sit anywhere.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 562

Karla

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I have been blessed this year. I have added two sugar maples, 2 cherries and 2 Hazel nut trees to my list of fruit trees. From the seeds started in my house I have cabbage, spinach, peas, carrots, bell peppers, 4 variety of tomato’s, lettuces and herbs. Will be setting Huckleberries, ground cherries, gooseberries and elderberries tomorrow.
I also have two types of garlic, some shallots, purple and yellow onions.

Attachments

• 5DE752CF-E162-43DA-AFE6-02C984D511C3.jpeg
    5DE752CF-E162-43DA-AFE6-02C984D511C3.jpeg
    253.7 KB · Views: 363
  • E2C71325-B60B-421F-9BD8-9AEE974BED90.jpeg
    E2C71325-B60B-421F-9BD8-9AEE974BED90.jpeg
    471.9 KB · Views: 402
  • 87D9C49C-580C-49C4-BC18-A547796E7DF4.jpeg
    87D9C49C-580C-49C4-BC18-A547796E7DF4.jpeg
    294.6 KB · Views: 419
  • 93BC78B9-A49E-45B2-BA53-E9AE72DCFB82.jpeg
    93BC78B9-A49E-45B2-BA53-E9AE72DCFB82.jpeg
    290.2 KB · Views: 282
  • BB644256-62A9-45AC-9044-BCC0C2081878.jpeg
    BB644256-62A9-45AC-9044-BCC0C2081878.jpeg
    437.6 KB · Views: 245

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)

https://www.gardenate.com/

I bought their app on Google Play for $1.09 AUD, very happy with it. I didn't know they had a site, I'll check it out. Thanks for sharing

Mary Playford

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I have been blessed this year. I have added two sugar maples, 2 cherries and 2 Hazel nut trees to my list of fruit trees. From the seeds started in my house I have cabbage, spinach, peas, carrots, bell peppers, 4 variety of tomato’s, lettuces and herbs. Will be setting Huckleberries, ground cherries, gooseberries and elderberries tomorrow.
I also have two types of garlic, some shallots, purple and yellow onions.
Loved the pics. One day, I will add hazelnuts to my list....yum. I got some garlics and will put them in this weekend.

Karla

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I have a book that is great.It is: The Kitchen Gardner by Alan Buckingham. It literally takes you month by month and tells you what to plant, what to start inside, when to harvest...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 276
Top Bottom