Question What's the perfect sized property for Self-Sufficient living?

Discussion in 'Other' started by Mark, Apr 29, 2014.

1. DarrenP

DarrenP Well-Known Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    It's almost a chicken and egg scenario, isn't it?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Robyn67

Robyn67 Active Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
    Very true, land quality and water reliability are really important.

Darren, sounds like you're doing heaps now. And everyone wants more land, I visited a 2000 acre farm the other week and they wanted more land!

You might need more than 2 acres for food and fire wood. Firewood alone needs a few (if you are only cutting down dead trees and falling branches) also depends on quality of wood. - we just cut up a few dead wattles, seems like an awful lot of wood, but it will burn really quick and won't get us through next winter. Lucky some sort of gum fell last week and that will burn once it's dried out.

My 2 cents worth, I think with really good soil and water and careful rotation grazing, you'd probably need 10 - 12 aces minimum for self sufficiency of veggies, fruit, meat and firewood. Say 2 acres for house, veggies and fruit trees and chickens. 5 acres for a couple of cows, 4 acres for sheep and a couple of wooded acres (where your sheep and cows could feed underneath too). And if you happened to have your acres on a creek or river you'd have fish too, and have at least one dam and put some yabbies in.

You could probably get away with less if you went with milking goats & sheep instead of cows.

It's so nice to dream about and being full self sufficient.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Interesting factoid completely unrelated to this thread....................
    the egg came first because reptiles were laying eggs long before some of them grew feathers & took to the skies!:p

• Like Like x 1
  4. DarrenP

DarrenP Well-Known Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Very true, ClissAT. :D
    Except for most skinks, which give live birth.......

5. Linda Hipple

Linda Hipple Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Hi just my 2 cents worth, I had an 80 acre farm, had draft horses and crosses for work, ride and drive pleasure, grew hay, had veggie gsrden and fruit trees. The regulations here (USA) property along a stream or watershed was now strictly regulated and no livestock within 50 ft of the creek. So after 30yrs I down sized for 2 reasons..#1 government regulations, #2 age and arthritis caught up with me. I discovered, I have to garden, so our 1 acre is just fine for 2. Older folks don't eat as much, but enough, nice to trade with neighbors for what we can't grow, or raise. Blessings.

• Like Like x 1