Whats happening in my small garden

Steve

Valued Member
Premium Member
As Stevo pointed out recently I haven't provided much of an update on whats been happening in my small courtyard garden of late.
So today I took a couple of photos with the iPhone for that very purpose.

This first pic is of my leeks I'm growing. My first attempt. I started these off from seed in small pots and last week transferred them to this long planter bag. A week on they are all vertical so I'm hopeful they all survived the move. Leek soup here I come!

IMG_0912_sml.JPG

Here's my carrots. This is my second crop with pretty good results the first time. This time I am offsetting the planting so the plan is once the first bag is done the second bag will be ready (or close to) and then I keep moving onto the next bag. I have 3 round planter bags and today just planted the 3rd bag (closest in the photo) so we will see how it goes. I have planted a few weeks apart but I think I planted the middle bag too soon but that was because I was going away on holidays and wanted to be sure they were up and running before I left.
IMG_0913_sml.JPG

Here are my snow-peas. I'm really excited about these as I've never grown them before and i love to eat them so it will be a real treat to have my own. I think they are only a week old and already have grown to a few centimetres. The plan here is to have them grow up the string I have dangling down from a square frame overhead. You can see the end of the string that is currently bunched up and tied in a knot. Once they are ready to grab hold I will release the string and away they go. I saw this plan on the web somewhere and I liked it because it's real easy to clean the string off at the end of the season by running your hand along it. I think there are about 10 strings hanging. They look real healthy so my fingers are crossed on these beauties.
IMG_0914_sml.JPG

Next up we have some spring onions. Again this is my first attempt and not real sure how they will go in this fairly shallow foam box. The box is from the failed mushroom project (damn mushrooms!). These were grown from seed too but a few didn't take hence the gaps but that's cool. We don't eat too many so if i get a few I'll be happy. I think its more an experiment to see how they go. Most of them are looking pretty healthy so hopefully we will have success.
IMG_0915_sml.JPG

So that's it. A few younglings in my my patch that i find really exciting. I love to see new life sprout to life. It's really fulfilling to grow some veggies even if its a very small amount. Being restricted to pots and planter bags is reality for me and I'm cool with that for now as I can use this time to learn and find out what works for me.
It's not about saving money for me but more the satisfaction of just growing something! Plain and simple but thats just me.

Cheers
Steve

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
That's awesome Steve!

Those grow bags look great they're pretty big - mind me asking where you got them from? Those long ones must hold a fair bit of soil hey... It's a cool setup for small scale food growing.

The beauty with this type of setup is it holds more than enough soil for growing most crops but it is also able to be moved or easily transported to a new place. I imagine the grow bags wouldn't take up much space when empty.

The string is a good idea for the peas (love home grown peas) and your leaks look like they've taken after the transplant.

Impressive mate. :thumbsup: And a top example for people who live in the city or have smaller yards. You should do quite well over the next few months out of your crops.

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
agreed, awesome. Another advantage of the bags might be to have a bit more control over the soil? Everything is looking healthy! This gives me a bit of motivation to get in to the vegie garden.

Steve

Valued Member
Premium Member
Those grow bags look great they're pretty big - mind me asking where you got them from? Those long ones must hold a fair bit of soil hey... It's a cool setup for small scale food growing.

Yeah they are pretty big. I got them from Bunnings on special for $2 from memory. I think they are normally around $12 which is still not bad in my eyes.
The size is a pain when it comes to filling it with soil. Unfortunately I don't have access to any soil so i had to buy bulk potting mix as well as some other additives like compost and coir peat etc to fill them. But Stevo is right that I could 'set up' the soil to my liking, not that I'm an expert in soil.:confused:

I have another 2 long bags sitting in the garage but i don't feel like buying a heap of potting mix again!

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Yeah they are pretty big. I got them from Bunnings on special for $2 from memory. I think they are normally around $12 which is still not bad in my eyes.
The size is a pain when it comes to filling it with soil. Unfortunately I don't have access to any soil so i had to buy bulk potting mix as well as some other additives like compost and coir peat etc to fill them. But Stevo is right that I could 'set up' the soil to my liking, not that I'm an expert in soil.:confused:

I have another 2 long bags sitting in the garage but i don't feel like buying a heap of potting mix again!
Good potting mix is pretty expensive but at least it lasts - I don't think there's any other way of doing it because straight garden soil in a bag or container would just compact too much and be too heavy. It's worth the cost anyway...

My father in-law recommends buying the cheap potting mix and then adding a few fists of blood and bone per 20 ltr bag he reckons it works out cheaper this way. I've taken his advice and he's probably right (but I haven't really crunched the figures) my plants grow OK though.

We're coming into the best growing time for vegetables in our part of the world. Are you sure you shouldn't get those spare bags out and plant a few cabbages or broccoli and maybe a few tomatoes? It's a good time to stick in a large variety of tomato like a beefsteak... ;)

Steve

Valued Member
Premium Member
Good potting mix is pretty expensive but at least it lasts - I don't think there's any other way of doing it because straight garden soil in a bag or container would just compact too much and be too heavy. It's worth the cost anyway...
Damn straight. Early on in my gardening career, and by 'early on' I mean only a year or two ago, I decided I was going to get myself a big plastic pot and half fill it with dirt from the side of a country road and the rest with half decent potting mix. This was all in the name of saving a couple of bucks. As it turned out I had no idea what I was getting myself in for. The roadside dirt was more like clay, none of my plants liked wet feet, and not much was grown in that pot. Then I had the task of trying to get rid of that clay from said pot and at wasn't going to blend in with my courtyard. What a pain that was.:blush:

My father in-law recommends buying the cheap potting mix and then adding a few fists of blood and bone per 20 ltr bag he reckons it works out cheaper this way. I've taken his advice and he's probably right (but I haven't really crunched the figures) my plants grow OK though.

My first potting mix purchases was of the lower quality until I got this bag once that was probably 50% sand. I hated it and it just didn't seem to feel like soil to me. Nothing really grew in it so I got rid of that. I try to get a half decent quality but always go for the bulk size bag which always saves a few bucks. Even if i don't use the whole bag for the current project, there will always be another project around the corner.:thumbsup:

We're coming into the best growing time for vegetables in our part of the world. Are you sure you shouldn't get those spare bags out and plant a few cabbages or broccoli and maybe a few tomatoes? It's a good time to stick in a large variety of tomato like a beefsteak... ;)

Damn you Mark and your friendly encouragement. :censored: Yes I would like to get those bags out! I just have to find some cash, a spot that gets sun and some motivation. :facepalm:Right-O....

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Damn you Mark and your friendly encouragement. Yes I would like to get those bags out! I just have to find some cash, a spot that gets sun and some motivation. Right-O....
LOL :D Come on U Can Do It...!

Johnm64

Premium Member
Great work Steve, you don't need lots of space to grow some nice fresh veg.
The foam boxes work a treat and are easy to get for free.
Gardening Australia had a segment a few weeks ago showing a guy who grows almost all his veg and herbs in them.
I like the string idea for the peas.

regards john

Jennie

Premium Member
As Stevo pointed out recently I haven't provided much of an update on whats been happening in my small courtyard garden of late.
So today I took a couple of photos with the iPhone for that very purpose.

This first pic is of my leeks I'm growing. My first attempt. I started these off from seed in small pots and last week transferred them to this long planter bag. A week on they are all vertical so I'm hopeful they all survived the move. Leek soup here I come!

View attachment 687

Here's my carrots. This is my second crop with pretty good results the first time. This time I am offsetting the planting so the plan is once the first bag is done the second bag will be ready (or close to) and then I keep moving onto the next bag. I have 3 round planter bags and today just planted the 3rd bag (closest in the photo) so we will see how it goes. I have planted a few weeks apart but I think I planted the middle bag too soon but that was because I was going away on holidays and wanted to be sure they were up and running before I left.
View attachment 688

Here are my snow-peas. I'm really excited about these as I've never grown them before and i love to eat them so it will be a real treat to have my own. I think they are only a week old and already have grown to a few centimetres. The plan here is to have them grow up the string I have dangling down from a square frame overhead. You can see the end of the string that is currently bunched up and tied in a knot. Once they are ready to grab hold I will release the string and away they go. I saw this plan on the web somewhere and I liked it because it's real easy to clean the string off at the end of the season by running your hand along it. I think there are about 10 strings hanging. They look real healthy so my fingers are crossed on these beauties.
View attachment 689

Next up we have some spring onions. Again this is my first attempt and not real sure how they will go in this fairly shallow foam box. The box is from the failed mushroom project (damn mushrooms!). These were grown from seed too but a few didn't take hence the gaps but that's cool. We don't eat too many so if i get a few I'll be happy. I think its more an experiment to see how they go. Most of them are looking pretty healthy so hopefully we will have success.
View attachment 690

So that's it. A few younglings in my my patch that i find really exciting. I love to see new life sprout to life. It's really fulfilling to grow some veggies even if its a very small amount. Being restricted to pots and planter bags is reality for me and I'm cool with that for now as I can use this time to learn and find out what works for me.
It's not about saving money for me but more the satisfaction of just growing something! Plain and simple but thats just me.

Cheers
Steve

Well done Steve!
The satisfaction that comes from growing your own fresh food is incredibly addictive! My mum always had a huge veggie patch when we were growing up. She didn't work so it was her way of contributing to the household budget! I was an at home mum for 9 years, so is great to feel that you are helping support your family. My mum and I often send photos to each other of produce that we have picked from our gardens and add up roughly what it would have cost to have purchased it at the shops! It adds up! My husband even gets proud to show his 'FREE' lunches at work that have come from our garden!
I can't wait to get back to QLD to get the patch up and running again, hopefully our tenants have been kind to our garden while we have been away!
I am excited to be able to post photos my self!

Steve

Valued Member
Premium Member
Great work Steve, you don't need lots of space to grow some nice fresh veg.
The foam boxes work a treat and are easy to get for free.
Gardening Australia had a segment a few weeks ago showing a guy who grows almost all his veg and herbs in them.
I like the string idea for the peas.
regards john

Cheers John. Unfortunately the foam boxes were expensive when I look at it. :( They are from my failed mushroom attempt. About $15 per box!! At least they are getting some use now.
And the string on the peas seems to be working. It took a little bit of help to get them all going up and not sideways but I think they all have the idea now. Might post a progress pic soon.

Well done Steve!
The satisfaction that comes from growing your own fresh food is incredibly addictive! My mum always had a huge veggie patch when we were growing up. She didn't work so it was her way of contributing to the household budget! I was an at home mum for 9 years, so is great to feel that you are helping support your family. My mum and I often send photos to each other of produce that we have picked from our gardens and add up roughly what it would have cost to have purchased it at the shops! It adds up! My husband even gets proud to show his 'FREE' lunches at work that have come from our garden!
I can't wait to get back to QLD to get the patch up and running again, hopefully our tenants have been kind to our garden while we have been away!
I am excited to be able to post photos my self!

Thanks Jennie. I like the idea of veggie growing as contributing to the household budget. Never really looked at it that way but its true. Yes we all love photos....

Cheers,
Steve

Top Bottom