What's eating my Washington Navel?

Discussion in 'Fruit & Vegetable Growing' started by letsgo, May 4, 2015.

1. letsgo

letsgo Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hi I have something eating my Washington Navel, I guess it's a grasshopper or something but have never seen anything on it. It's not that big as it was only put in a few months ago and it;s the new leaves it is eating. I don't think it's a possum unless it pulls the tree down. So any clues what it is and what I do about it? I am looking into nets.

What's-eating-my-tree.jpg

Also it has 2 problems, a bug that is on the leaves, can be either the front or back. Want to know what to spray the tree with before I do just got spray it with a Pyrethrum spray in case that is not the right thing to do.

What's-eating-my-tree-bug.jpg

Thanks for any help. :)

2. Ash

Ash Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Top issue may be an aphid eating up the leaves. They love the new growth. Bottom problem is leaf miner. Confidor should fix both.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. letsgo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Thanks Ash I'll look into Confidor :)

4. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I like the pics!

Leaf miner can be left alone if you like as it won't do too much damage to the tree but if it gets too unsightly use 20 mil per 1 litre water of commercial pest oil and spray the leaves (it will smother it). You can also make your own pest oil by using about the same amount of cooking oil mixed with a few drops of washing up liquid in a litre of water shake/mix well and spray liberally - works on scale and "sometimes" aphids by smothering the animal and totally organic :).

The top pic is caterpillar damage from a large butterfly caterpillar - usually big fat green ones and turns into the big black butterfly (cluster caterpillar damage is much more devastating and needs to be addressed) however these guys are usually not invasive and only eat a few leaves so killing them or spraying is not really required. On smaller trees pick them off by hand and feed to chooks but on larger trees the damage done is less than you'd do pruning each year so I just leave mine!

I don't net citrus trees and our Washington navel does fine (it's a wonderful orange by the way and probably my favourite) if the trees are kept healthy they should be fine. The odd fruit will go missing from a possum but generally the pests leave citrus alone and because the fruit ripens in the cooler parts of the year when fruit fly are not as prevalent there's no need to worry about them either.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. letsgo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Thanks Mark, if I find the suckers I will certainly be feeding them to the chooks :D

These caterpillars/butterflies are a pain. We have Cycads here and they get the blue cycad butterfly laying their little caterpillars that totally devastate the plant. Have sprayed them so many times I've lost count. They really make a mess of the plant. I have fed them to the chooks but it's an on going job.

6. Ash

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Top point about the use of dormant horticultural oil Mark. I've used it (home made) with good success for leaf miner but found the pesky Bronze Orange Bug (musgraveia sulciventris) a nuisance that wouldn't go away unless I used confidor. I'd be happy to learn of an effective organic pest control effort to rid myself of the bug once and for all!

[​IMG]

7. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I have read about people using a hand held vacuum to suck bronze orange bugs off their citrus trees. I knock them off and stamp on them - in small numbers they don't do much damage but they can cause fruit drop, petal drop, and scarring on the fruit. Spot spraying insecticide (like confidor) is recommended by some horticulturists as opposed to blanket spraying the full tree.

8. Ash

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Okay. I've spotted them on the tree but I can't be policing them as I'm a little too busy for that, so I just use the confidor (or equivalent pest agent) and hope the dormant oil controls the rest of the problems.

9. letsgo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Least you can see what it is and then deal with them.

10. Ash

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Yeah Kate. When I saw it I was both mortified as well as relieved. Thankfully I haven't seen them since, but I don't get out in the backyard very much lately to take notice...