What wood chipper mulcher should I buy?

Discussion in 'Building DIY, Machinery & Tools' started by Mark, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Olly

Olly Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Arid, Desert, or Dry
    i bought the 20HP michigan one it works fine is fairly well built and came with quite a few spare parts it's good for fruit tree prunings and the occasional small branches but i'd like something that does bigger branches for around the farm it's just not quite as useful as i would have liked
    bought

2. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Not far from me is a guy who rents out his big machine to do mulching & chipping. It is one of those big things towed behind his truck.
    He can also take the chips away if you cant use them.
    But he can also drop off a large pile if you want more although he does charge by the m3 but its not a lot.
    He comes to your property & if you have spent the time to gather all the dead fall or cut up trees into a pile it takes him no time so the cost is not that great.
    It sure beats spending $1800+ on a machine you might only use 2-3 times a year.
    And yes you would then also have to pay for the maintenance of the beast!

3. Ash

Ash Valued Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Good stuff mate. Thanks for sharing that. You'd think that with 20hp of power behind it the machine should be able to get through anything you put through it.

4. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Is this the mulcher you got? If so, what do you think of the top chute - does it do a good job shredding leaves, and handfuls of small garden waste?

The reason I ask, is my Ozito does small branches etc pretty well but it's awful to feed in loose stuff like leaves and small twigs.