Question What to make with too many/glut of eggs?

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Thought this might be a fun exercise to see what can be made with a glut of eggs? If you have any ideas, recipes, or smart ar#e answers list them here :p

Oops... I have an egg glut problem. HEEEEELLLLLP!
too many eggs oops.jpg

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
OMG you seem to get this problem a bit. Can't your neighbours come and get some eggs or do they have their own chooks. Dogs love them too.
We have less chooks now but over our last holiday we did accumulate a large quantity of eggs again so I pickled a whole heap of them.

Here's my recipe of how to pickle eggs etc...

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I'll watch it but sorry pickled eggs sound yucky :p
Its typically an English thing historically served at the pubs. My boys eat them like pickled cucumbers they absolutely love them! :twothumbsup:

Berkeloid

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Another thing that needs a lot of eggs is home made custard. It's very easy to make and is absolutely delicious, but needs a lot of eggs if you want to make a decent amount of it, and it is a bit tedious as you have to stir it continuously for an hour or so otherwise it goes lumpy and watery. But it tastes fantastic and beats the supermarket stuff hands down (not that home made food tasting better than the supermarket stuff will surprise anyone here.)

You can also make chocolate mousse, although personally I have had limited success with that (it comes out ok and only takes 10-15 minutes to make, but then tends to turn into chocolate water after a day or two.) Meringue is another thing you can make from egg whites (great if you've made the yolk-only version of the custard and have the whites left over), although this needs sugar to come out properly (everything else works with honey which is great for me because refined/cane sugar disagrees with me.)

Neither the custard or the mousse actually cook the eggs (they are warmed up in custard but completely raw in mousse), so I've often wondered how you'd go about making them with your own eggs. I believe purchased eggs have been washed with an antibacterial solution so there's minimal risk of anything on the shell contaminating the food, but with uncooked home grown eggs I'm not sure whether you'd have to take any extra precautions to avoid any bacteria on the shell.

Has anyone had any experience with consuming uncooked eggs laid by their own hens?

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Has anyone had any experience with consuming uncooked eggs laid by their own hens?
No I can't say I have...

There's probably a risk in eating uncooked eggs whether they are treated or not but more so if not washed with an antibacterial. The Rocky movie where he swallows raw eggs is probably not a great idea; even though, in my twenties when I was an avid body builder/gym junkie I regularly did the same without any consequences - lol, the silly things I've done when younger :rolleyes:

The other side of the coin is why people grow their own eggs and whilst there are many good reasons, one is due to chemicals being used on store purchased eggs to sterilise them for the market. Some people believe the antibacterial the eggs are washed with contaminates the eggs, and consequently we ingest it, which is probably not good either.

In regards to custard, I can understand people's concerns about making it fresh but with this method of dessert making being done for hundreds of years in people's home kitchens with their own produce you'd have to conclude the risk of people getting sick is minimal if normal food handling precautions are adhered to.

BTW, backyard egg growers can still buy antibacterial products and wash their own eggs if they want - I have never had the urge to do so personally.

Helen Auriga

Ecological Farming & Landcare
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
We always have a glut of eggs in October/November besides giving them away, this year I made frittata with fetta, dehydrated tomatoes (left from the previous summer) and either silverbeet or broccoli. I froze them in single meal portions and have been eating one when its too hot to cook. Only two left.

RNelson Cust

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Pickled eggs @letsgo taste like eggs but with a slightly tangy outside due to the vinegar. Better when they are smashed up in a salad sandwich.

I just sampled a batch last night. Tangy, but not salty or sour. Fermenting for 3 days.

Top Bottom