What is your best and favourite garden tool for raised beds?

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Nice video. I had to think for a minute about it, but after watching the video I remembered. I use one like this below, a small pick, which is about the same size as the one you've shown. It stays in the garden. I also use the sharp pick end to dig weeds out of the lawn.

If the chickens see me with it they run over to me waiting for me to dig soil and because they get right under it and look for worms...
smallpick.jpg

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Yeah that's a good tool also.

My Grandfather used to opal mine and I inherited his small pick similar to yours (but much older) he used this for the final stages of chipping around a suspected opal to ensure more control so the gem wasn't accidentally damaged. I still grab it out of the shed and use it in the garden occasionally especially to use around growing plants to chip away weeds.

Steve

Valued Member
Premium Member
The first thing i thought of when i saw the title of your video was my ET tool too!
Great video Mark and so true. The ET tool is my go-to tool for just about everything.
Just moved into the new house and needed to sort out some drainage channels to divert water away from the house, straight to the ET tool! Needed to scape up some gravel and move it into a drain, ET tool....

I have two of them as you never know when you might break one. Must have a spare as I would be lost without my ET.

The other thing they are great for is measuring the correct size of your fighting pit, too big and it's too easy to lob a grenade in ya hole. :twothumbsup:
Ok, maybe some counselling wouldn't go astray :confused:

Go the ET!

(PS: when are you doing a video on the F.R.E.D?)

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hahaha! F'en Ridiculous Eating Device! I still have several of them too!

Good to hear you're settling in to your new home - how exciting :twothumbsup:

Mary Playford

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
plumbers shovel.jpg

Mine is the plumber’s shovel. Man, that thing digs great, its light and just the right size for multitasking. You can dig a hole with it, dig weeds out while you stand, hill up the garden beds, make new garden beds, lean on it to rest or to ease my 48 year old body down to a bending position when working around the garden... oh, I do squeak......LOL

Ooops, I forgot the raised bed part, lol...I got excited about my shovel... My raised beds are still close to the ground and once upon a time I would sit on my legs as I work around my garden still sitting in that position. Nowadays, I lean on my new shovel. For years, I used this $5 trowel that I bought from Kmart and it is the mini version of my plumber's shovel.

Last edited:

Bea

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
my raised beds are mostly 10 inches deep and only two feet wide feet deep. so my favourite tools are my hands and a medium length handled garden claw. yeah yeah I have short handled shovels and forks and the all purpose trowels. but those are used only when really needed. I have even put into garden use one of those triangular pointy things you use for scooping and smoothing mortar. probably gets more use than the trowel! LOL Oh yeah and regular kitchen spoons and forks. ....

Mark Seaton

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
images.jpg
I have one of these that I use to scratch around to keep the weeds down or turn in the mulch etc. My raised beds now are waist height and the largest one is 2.4m x 1.6m so the extra length means I don't need to bend over trying to reach into the middle. Otherwise, everything is done by hand.

Steve McGahey

Climate
Sub-Tropical
I have three of those HART mini Mattocks. One for the house paddock, one out in the back paddocks for fine detail trenching and targeted weeding, and finally one for the pixies... At least, I think that's where the third one went...

GKW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
+1 for the Hart mini mattock. My fav hand tool...digs, chips, scrapes, cuts roots, very controllable and doesn't vibrate on impact....very good value for money.

I picked up a set of these pre Xmas. Haven't had a chance to test them out yet and not likely to use in garden beds, more so when digging out a hole for a tree / post / other.

images

DTK

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
The first thing i thought of when i saw the title of your video was my ET tool too!
Great video Mark and so true. The ET tool is my go-to tool for just about everything.
Just moved into the new house and needed to sort out some drainage channels to divert water away from the house, straight to the ET tool! Needed to scape up some gravel and move it into a drain, ET tool....

I have two of them as you never know when you might break one. Must have a spare as I would be lost without my ET.

The other thing they are great for is measuring the correct size of your fighting pit, too big and it's too easy to lob a grenade in ya hole. :twothumbsup:
Ok, maybe some counselling wouldn't go astray :confused:

Go the ET!

Before I got out I built up my collection of FREDs . I have them in caravan, house, shed and so on.

ET is another favourite.

Vivienneleroux

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Mine is called a "potato fork" here in the Southern USA. I attached a stock image. I do all my work with hand tools to minimize damage to the ecosystem I've worked so hard to build up. Not worth putting in the worms if you're just going to kill them with a gas or electric tiller.

Attachments

• 31pKMrmno-L._AC_.jpg
    31pKMrmno-L._AC_.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 437

Karen&Luke

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Wolf garten. The weeder side does an amazing job with the weeds. Its my grandfather's tool but i hope to get one eventually but they aren't cheap.
Screenshot_20200217-223428_eBay.jpg

Karla

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Ok, on the serious side. I purchased this raised bed tool a couple of weeks ago. Just came in from using it and I am impressed!! Was getting ready older, shorter raised beds that have not been in use for a while and growing a great harvest of grass. This tool cut right through the roots and turn the soil with ease. No whacking like you have to do with a hoe. It also cut through an 1 1/2” tree root that I didn’t even know had grown into the bed. I give this tool 5 stars.

Attachments

• E3B17956-941F-465B-B0D2-4F91087BBB31.jpeg
    E3B17956-941F-465B-B0D2-4F91087BBB31.jpeg
    175.7 KB · Views: 250
  • D9520CD4-6E22-4E14-A488-C9213193CC16.jpeg
    D9520CD4-6E22-4E14-A488-C9213193CC16.jpeg
    217.8 KB · Views: 220
  • 06294247-CDB3-41A2-9695-DBC9C4252EC7.jpeg
    06294247-CDB3-41A2-9695-DBC9C4252EC7.jpeg
    157.2 KB · Views: 274

JudyM

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
My Ho-Mi digger. Love it. Perfect for weeding, planting, making rows....anything.

Attachments

• CA0AE16C-EA95-40BF-A179-6D448863340C.jpeg
    CA0AE16C-EA95-40BF-A179-6D448863340C.jpeg
    26.8 KB · Views: 244

DTK

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
JudyM, I have two of them. I love them.

Lucas