Problem What is wrong with my cucumbers?

The Rubber Kitty

Premium Member
GOLD
May 17, 2019
Climate
Sub-Tropical
They were going fine for a while, but they have become holy and some of the cucumbers are shrivelling up or 'aborting' and becoming yellow ... I am not sure if it is because we have had a few days of really dry weather and they have been smashed and thus more likely to get disease/pests?

There have been funny little black 'poo' around, but I haven't seen a lot of insects/pests, unless they are really good at hiding...

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Sep 27, 2015
Pomona, Qld
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Looks like critter damage either green caterpillars or small green grasshoppers.

Are there cobwebs on the leaves as well?

You might need to look under the leaves to see if it's grubs.

If it is BT spray (Bacillus Thuringiensis) called Dipel by Yates is a natural remedy.
Grasshoppers are best removed by hand. You can try white oil but the plant may not like it very much. They breath through their knees so oiling them up blocks those airways.

Last edited:

Gavin H

Premium Member
GOLD
Feb 7, 2020
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Mine looked very similar it was caterpillars and I used the stuff from Yates, works a treat. Went outside before and the bee’s are pollinating they cucumber flowers for me :)

tommy bjerke

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2020
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Had something similar. Aphids lay their eggs on the underside of the leaves. When they hatch they are little caterpillars that start eating the leaves and will eventually burrow into the cucumber. Found some natural spray made from cersanthims that kills them on the spot but you have to spray it directly on them because it has no residual effect on them.

Feb 6, 2020
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Looks like caterpillers i would spray with diluted garlic juice. As for small fruit going yellow possibly due to not sufficient water, so plant takes moisture from the fruit.

Keiran Roles

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2020
Bundy QLD Australia
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Yeah, you got to get on there bastards, real quick. If it gets too heavy. Start picking off some leaves we start seeing that crap on the underside of the leaves. I snapped the top off a couple of my herbs because of infestations iam useless at spaying ... i dont know what iam doing when it comes to chemicals .. id rather grow some repelling plants .. again ... iam bad at Researching all of that stuff....and dont realy have the confidence either ...

Feb 6, 2020
Climate
Sub-Tropical
For concentrated spray, use up to 2 full bulbs of garlic pureed into half cup of water. Method.. Crush and put into a bowl. Pour boiling water over it cover and let steep overnight strain before putting into spary bottle

The Rubber Kitty

Premium Member
GOLD
May 17, 2019
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Looks like critter damage either green caterpillars or small green grasshoppers.

Are there cobwebs on the leaves as well?

You might need to look under the leaves to see if it's grubs.

If it is BT spray (Bacillus Thuringiensis) called Dipel by Yates is a natural remedy.
Grasshoppers are best removed by hand. You can try white oil but the plant may not like it very much. They breath through their knees so oiling them up blocks those airways.
I haven't seen any grass hoppers ... and no grubs that I could see ... I have not seen cob webs ...

I am going to try growing some radishes with them and hope that they will take care of each other...

The Rubber Kitty

Premium Member
GOLD
May 17, 2019
Climate
Sub-Tropical
For concentrated spray, use up to 2 full bulbs of garlic pureed into half cup of water. Method.. Crush and put into a bowl. Pour boiling water over it cover and let steep overnight strain before putting into spary bottle
Awesome I will try that ^_^ I have replanted some shallots near it too ...