ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Sep 27, 2015
Pomona, Qld
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Michael, looks a bit like really fleshy, extremely well fertilized wandering Jew!
Actually it looks like you might have a few edible weeds coming up down there.
Wandering Jew is edible in small amounts fresh in salad or larger amounts steamed to remove the phytotoxins.
Or you could just carefully lift it out of the soil and add it to your weed tea, not the compost bin where it will continue to grow and proliferate. Any small root piece left in the soil will regrow so do it now while the corn is young. Use a garden fork or weed lifting tool so you don't break the roots. They'll be white and fleshy with corm down several centimetres and more roots beyond that.

DTK

Premium Member
GOLD
Sep 23, 2019
Brisbane (SW suburbs)
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Michael,
I found a tiny amount of wandering jew a few years ago and sadly did not eradicate it totally at that time. Now it is coming up everywhere. If that is what your volunteer is I can only suggest getting rid of it as soon as possible.

Mar 5, 2020
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I've had to learn to live with prolific Wandering Jew. I just smother it with cardboard, paper and leaves and cow/chook poo every time I replant the vegy garden. I let my friendly cows out occasionally and they LOVE Wandering Jew as do my chickens when the pinto peanut (their absolute favourite) isn't flowering.

Reactions: DTK

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Sep 27, 2015
Pomona, Qld
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Wandering Jew is high in oxalic acid and phytochemicals making it a bit toxic for cloven hoofed animals mostly.

One of my horses likes it but I'm careful how much she gets. Also it's fine at this time of year but not in the dry season so much.

It's ok for chooks although I'd be a bit careful re the phytochemicals because chooks are prone to liver issues. The phytochemicals are processed by the liver.

The best use is in the compost or better still in weed tea where it can't root down but rather rot fairly quickly.

DTK

Premium Member
GOLD
Sep 23, 2019
Brisbane (SW suburbs)
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Thanks ClissAT. I have discovered for me that Best use is burning it. It is such a pest!