What is happening to my fruit trees?

Jake Bak

Premium Member
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
G'day everyone, I'm in central Victoria and have recently got into growing fruit trees. I have a Meyer Lemon, Calamondin Kumquat, Washington Naval orange and a Blood Plum. I put these trees in pots and put them along a fence to get full sun. When I had only the Lemon and Kumquat, I had them in almost full shade for a few months. I noticed the both of them started to get a bit sick, the Lemon especially. When I bought the plum (In early July) I moved the two citrus to the fence where they are now, along with the plum. The plum started doing well and had leaves after a month. I noticed the lemon was becoming increasingly sicker and the grass around the pots started to die off rapidly, even the weeds. A few weeks after i bought my orange (Now) and all three trees have become sick and the lemon looks like its halfway to dead. I have got them all in adequate pots (Except the orange as I don't have any potting to pot it with) and have given them all fertilizer. I do not know what is happening and am desperate to find out how to save them. I believe it is either a disease or our neighbours have poisoned them (We don't get along). I will attach the images to this.

Any and all help/advice will be beyond greatly appreciated!

This is the link to the slide as the images are too big for the server. https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/14JqK07YD7YeGF-mHoUQqr5eIC9d1JTXUGaGQxQDdhng/edit?usp=sharing

EDIT: Apologies for the awful focus on the images. I hope you can all access the slide.

Last edited:

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I use LitPhoto to compress and resize photos

bizhat

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
since the images arent working (dont worry ;) )
try describing how the leaves look; are / were they turning brown easily, or have spots/rings on them, or was the bark peeling off?

DThille

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
If everything around the pots is dying too, I'd think it would have to be something environmental, possibly a herbicide. Good luck with things.

Derek

Mark Seaton

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I would be betting on a neighbour poisoning them from what you have said.
It is not hard to spray some roundup over the fence when you have a sprayer out doing your own weeds.
The only way to be sure is to put a camera out and see if you can catching him. It won't help now though.
If you can, try moving them away from his side and over to another area he can't get to them and give them a good soak with water to try and disperse any trace of chemical and flood the soil also to try and get rid of any trace of chemical. Unfortunately, if it has been done weeks ago it may be too late, but if he is dosing them on a regular basis, which you often need to do to kill a tree, he may still be at it.

That is of course if that is what is happening.

Like everyone else said, there is no photos to see, try uploading them direct to this page.

Top Bottom