What do you think of eating cockerels (roosters under 1 yr old)?

Discussion in 'Poultry, Domestic Livestock, Pets, & Bees' started by Mark, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Has anyone had experience in eating cockerels?

I breed quail but eating the male compared to the female is much of a muchness. I haven't bred chickens yet but will be, and I'm assuming I'll want to cull the roosters (at least) but when is best for the table?

2. MarkU

MarkU Active Member Premium Member

Mark, mate it has been a while since i have had to pick and pluck a chook for dinner but i think the main things to consider when deciding to sacrifice one for the table is it all depends on how you want to cook and eat it. I remember from "back when" that the older the chook gets the more cooking it needs and the old chooks made there way into crock pot or casserole. the meat gets darker and takes on more flavour as they get older so it is a case of making the most of that. I imagine with the lifestyle and diet your birds have they will develop excellent flavour very quickly so i would say around 3 - 4 months depending on how they have developed. this is a very sketchy memory so I hope it helps

3. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Thanks MarkU, yes that does help. So what you're saying is a chook is a chook (rooster or hen).

I'll probably look at preparing any cockerels on the younger side then, because as you say, the older they get the darker the meat and more flavour they develop. We'd probably like our chicken meat a little less gamey.

I've heard fattening up with corn a few weeks before slaughter helps too. Might try that also.

• Like Like x 1