Question What do i plant in autumn and winter?

Jake Bak

Premium Member
Feb 24, 2020
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
Hello, as you can probably tell, I am a gardener from a cold climate (Bendigo) and this is my first time growing stuff in winter. From the books I have read and the videos I have watched, I am thinking of planting Turnips, Radishes and Lettuce in Autumn and Beetroot, Cauliflower and Leek in Winter. The average winter temperature here is about 8 degrees C. My question is if I am planting the right plants (Stated above) in the right season for my climate. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

t4ms

Premium Member
Nov 5, 2019
New England, NSW, Australia
Climate
Hi Jake,

Your winters sound similar to what we get up here in New England. Frosts are the biggest concern and can destroy stuff overnight. I always have a pot of silverbeet on the go and, while it can take a battering on a frosty night, it has always survived. As a renter and container gardener I've tended to ignore the garden over the winter and focus on soil improvement and compost making but this year I'm going to have a crack at some winter veg too.

Ignore the summer sowing guidelines (it's hotter down in Bendigo than up here) but here's a sowing guide for our region:
http://slaati.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Armidale-Vegetable-Sowing-Guide.pdf

Mark

Founder
Staff member
May 27, 2012
Bellmere, QLD
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Jake, generally most brassicas should grow ok through winter such as cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, kale etc. Also try iceberg lettuce and various peas.

I found this chart online about growing vegetables in Bendigo it's part of a pdf brochure that might interest you.
bendigo vegetable growing chart.jpg

Here's the link:
https://www.brfa.org.au/wp-content/uploads/Home_Grown_Web.pdf

Reactions: Lucas and reeeen4

Jake Bak

Premium Member
Feb 24, 2020
Climate