What are you harvesting/picking?

Lois

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
We had self sown lettuce and they're still coming on. Cauliflower and cabbages doing okay. Potatoes started. Beetroot slow. Spinach to plant. Garlic going well. Couldn't get carrots to start this year. Mandarins, orange and lemons trouble with curly leaf. Think I lost the mandarin.

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Talking about veg not making it inside......berries, snow peas, beans, some lettuce, rocket.........
None gets inside my house! :D

I've been able to sew more winter(ish) crops again due to the drought.
Potatoes, beetroot, lettuce, beans, tomatoes, broccoli, All got a second go round.
Today i discovered some grub got into my tomato frame and is systematically removing the stems from the flowers! This means the flowers fall off! No wonder there aren't many fruit!
I got 2 boxes of potatoes, kiplers and Sebago that were already well chitted. I have planted the sebagoes into a pretty large upside down bottomless plastic planter pot in the food forest which is pretty dry this year. They had good length of shoots already and so far nothing has gotten inside the pot to dig them up. I put the pot upside down just down a bit into the soil with the potatoes planted inside this extra high 'fence'. Here's hoping.
The other box of kiplers which also have long shoots will go into a large pot on the verandah where I can control the amount of water they receive and no rain.
Hopefully I can extend the winter growing season well into summer unless this dry gets so bad I stop having enough grey water to go around.

Letsgokate

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
letsgotravelaustralia.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Red cabbage, Purple and green snow peas, peas, tomatoes, loads of carrots and beetroot. Herbs, lettuce, Bok Choy but aphids ended up getting into them. Rainbow silver beet celery, strawberries, broccoli, cauliflower. Potatoes first descent harvest this year

Like everyone we enjoy snow peas and peas straight off the vine and so does our dog. She also like carrots, celery, strawberries. If I’m at the patch picking something she is waiting for her bit.

Just planted some Wombok cabbage, lettuce, yellow zucchini and capsicum.

Here is a some pics of my veggie patch.

Bea

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I am always harvesting some greens and herbs. This includes borage and arugula that pop up everywhere. I was very ill for a couple of months so my whole yard really suffered, but am back on track, now, slowly, little by little. My new raised beds are in the new location and three of five are planted. I have already harvested micro greens.

Lois

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I've never done it, but apparently it's quite common. Some gardeners do it as a matter of course to make sure they get pumpkins.
Yes my friend does the paint brush thing early in the season when the first male and female flowers open.

Lois

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Cabbages and kale, bok choy, broccoli been my thing during winter, plenty of letuces to pick now and just started my tomatoes. Oh and 2 beds of carrots, delicious, also just picking them. Leeks been good, silver beet, small beetroot and lots and lots of snow peas, used a bike wheel on a star picket and string.
I failed carrot growing this year. I got so comfortable with the little showers we had the previous years I didn't watch how dry they got this year now the drought is showing here.

Kasalia

http://retired2006.blogspot.com.au/
Premium Member
Website
retired2006.blogspot.com.au
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Cabbages have been big this year, 2 varieties, still to pick two, had to dehydrate 4 of them, still have 2 big beds of carrots to go. Lettuce have beaten me cant eat enough so going to seed, driveway pumpkins all eaten, 8 of them.
Usual silver beet and snow peas and broccolini this year, froze some.

Must say how good a combo of mushroom compost and cow manure is, which we put into the new beds.

20180829_111549.jpg
20180829_134042.jpg

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Kasalia what beauties they are!
Have you tried to make Kim chi?
Apparently you don't have to add all that huge amount of chili if you don't like that much.

Re mushroom compost on gardens. It depends on the ph of your soil.
If yours is a bit acid and you want to grow alkaline loving veg, then mc will help.
It also adds organic matter to heavy soil.

Here is an excerpt from a paper on mc.
"Mushroom compost is therefore most useful on acid soils that are low in organic matter, where the liming effect of the chalk is an added benefit to soil fertility. Mushroom compost is not recommended for neutral, alkaline or chalky soils, which would be made excessively alkaline by the addition of further chalk"

This is why cow + mc is such a good mix as Kasalia has discovered.:thumbsup:

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Two days ago I picked a nice broccoli, small cauli, a white onion, 2 smallish beetroots, some green leafy veg, all out of various container gardens. Then a young garlic, a small pineapple and some other herbs and spices from old soil garden beds.
I added 2 juicing carrots from the horse feed fridge and a stick of celery to make a quick sweet and sour stir fry.
Very yummy!:eat:

Lois

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Nice. I am only picking loose leafed lettuce that is heading toward seeding. Your garden sounds like it is doing well. Good work no doubt. Still eating pumpkins, got next years in now. Trying Queensland Blue. Strawberries are doing good but my aching hands stop me from lifting the mesh covers which save them from the Guinea fowl.

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Oh Lois, how I wish I could skite and say it was down to good work!
No, its down to sheer good luck that anything is growing at my place right now.
The few brassicas that survived out of the 3 punnets planted (cauli, broc, cabbage), managed to grow on the smallest bit of grey water. What's managed to survive in the ground got there by sheer determination because none of the soil beds got any water during this dry spell.
Re your strawberries Lois, do you mean you've succeeded in protecting them from the guinea fowl but now with fruit on you are unable to lift the covers to pick the fruit? That's not good!

Wanda

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Red cabbage, Purple and green snow peas, peas, tomatoes, loads of carrots and beetroot. Herbs, lettuce, Bok Choy but aphids ended up getting into them. Rainbow silver beet celery, strawberries, broccoli, cauliflower. Potatoes first descent harvest this year

Like everyone we enjoy snow peas and peas straight off the vine and so does our dog. She also like carrots, celery, strawberries. If I’m at the patch picking something she is waiting for her bit.

Just planted some Wombok cabbage, lettuce, yellow zucchini and capsicum.

Here is a some pics of my veggie patch.

It’s been a few years, does your garden still look as good?

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
With no seed available it's been hard to sew any veg. I've been using saved seed but it's a few years old now so not a very good strike rate.
Today I managed to get the last packet of open pollinated heritage Cherokee bush beans yellow. So that's what I'll be eating this winter!
However right now I have good crops of volunteers in a mass of wonderful places like around pawpaws, in the sweet potato patch, along the track from house to shed, under mango trees, among the flowers, under roses.
There's rocket, various picking lettuce, cherry tomatoes, wild rocket and mint, wild greens(weeds), sweet potatoes, cucumbers, purple mustard, pawpaws, dragon fruit by the 10s, shallots, some wild fruit, fresh coffee fruits, pomegranate, lots of herbs and a few spices like ginger, galangal, white and red potatoes,. But no winter hard veg this year.
I planted carrots but something (I think a wallaby or hare) is eating the green tops as fast as they grow so the carrots will fail soon.
I hope the price of veg drops significantly soon because I'll have to buy it all this coming winter.

Letsgokate

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
letsgotravelaustralia.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
It’s been a few years, does your garden still look as good?

Depends what and when I have things growing. Tend to give things a break over the hot summer. They have been planted out again now. Every time I replant, I put blood and bone, and some gypsum in the beds and top them up with soil if required. The beds still grown beautiful yummy healthy veggies.

The beds themselves are still holding up well.

Mark Seaton

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I am picking Butternuts at a great rate of knots, I just picked the last of my Golden nuggets. Last week I picked a bucket full of Jalapeno's and made it into chilli relish, 4 full jars of it :) And I just dug up my first ever crop of peanuts. 20200410_160545_resized.jpg 20200410_160559_resized.jpg chili.jpg

Top Bottom