What are you harvesting/picking?

Discussion in 'Fruit & Vegetable Growing' started by DarrenP, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Lois

Lois Active Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    We had self sown lettuce and they're still coming on. Cauliflower and cabbages doing okay. Potatoes started. Beetroot slow. Spinach to plant. Garlic going well. Couldn't get carrots to start this year. Mandarins, orange and lemons trouble with curly leaf. Think I lost the mandarin.

2. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Talking about veg not making it inside......berries, snow peas, beans, some lettuce, rocket.........
    None gets inside my house! :D

I've been able to sew more winter(ish) crops again due to the drought.
    Potatoes, beetroot, lettuce, beans, tomatoes, broccoli, All got a second go round.
    Today i discovered some grub got into my tomato frame and is systematically removing the stems from the flowers! This means the flowers fall off! No wonder there aren't many fruit!
    I got 2 boxes of potatoes, kiplers and Sebago that were already well chitted. I have planted the sebagoes into a pretty large upside down bottomless plastic planter pot in the food forest which is pretty dry this year. They had good length of shoots already and so far nothing has gotten inside the pot to dig them up. I put the pot upside down just down a bit into the soil with the potatoes planted inside this extra high 'fence'. Here's hoping.
    The other box of kiplers which also have long shoots will go into a large pot on the verandah where I can control the amount of water they receive and no rain.
    Hopefully I can extend the winter growing season well into summer unless this dry gets so bad I stop having enough grey water to go around.

3. Letsgokate

Letsgokate Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Red cabbage, Purple and green snow peas, peas, tomatoes, loads of carrots and beetroot. Herbs, lettuce, Bok Choy but aphids ended up getting into them. Rainbow silver beet celery, strawberries, broccoli, cauliflower. Potatoes first descent harvest this year

Like everyone we enjoy snow peas and peas straight off the vine and so does our dog. She also like carrots, celery, strawberries. If I’m at the patch picking something she is waiting for her bit.

Just planted some Wombok cabbage, lettuce, yellow zucchini and capsicum.

Here is a some pics of my veggie patch.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Bea

Bea Active Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I am always harvesting some greens and herbs. This includes borage and arugula that pop up everywhere. I was very ill for a couple of months so my whole yard really suffered, but am back on track, now, slowly, little by little. My new raised beds are in the new location and three of five are planted. I have already harvested micro greens.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lois

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Yes my friend does the paint brush thing early in the season when the first male and female flowers open.

6. Lois

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I failed carrot growing this year. I got so comfortable with the little showers we had the previous years I didn't watch how dry they got this year now the drought is showing here.

7. Kasalia

Kasalia http://retired2006.blogspot.com.au/ Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Cabbages have been big this year, 2 varieties, still to pick two, had to dehydrate 4 of them, still have 2 big beds of carrots to go. Lettuce have beaten me cant eat enough so going to seed, driveway pumpkins all eaten, 8 of them.
    Usual silver beet and snow peas and broccolini this year, froze some.

Must say how good a combo of mushroom compost and cow manure is, which we put into the new beds.

20180829_111549.jpg 20180829_134042.jpg

• Love it! Love it! x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Letsgokate

Letsgokate Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I’ve wondered about mushroom compost in veggie beds

9. ClissAT

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Kasalia what beauties they are!
    Have you tried to make Kim chi?
    Apparently you don't have to add all that huge amount of chili if you don't like that much.

Re mushroom compost on gardens. It depends on the ph of your soil.
    If yours is a bit acid and you want to grow alkaline loving veg, then mc will help.
    It also adds organic matter to heavy soil.

Here is an excerpt from a paper on mc.
    "Mushroom compost is therefore most useful on acid soils that are low in organic matter, where the liming effect of the chalk is an added benefit to soil fertility. Mushroom compost is not recommended for neutral, alkaline or chalky soils, which would be made excessively alkaline by the addition of further chalk"

This is why cow + mc is such a good mix as Kasalia has discovered.:thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Kasalia

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    @ClissAT ...Yes DH is a big kim chi maker we have a special pot always on the go. The chilli powder, he makes sure is always Korean lol. Orders it online. I will stick to my kombucha thanks very much, kim chi too sour and hot for me.

11. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    No way! YUM :p

• Like Like x 1
  12. Kasalia

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Picked and ready for freezer 3.5 kgs carrots. 20181017_113813.jpg

13. ClissAT

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Two days ago I picked a nice broccoli, small cauli, a white onion, 2 smallish beetroots, some green leafy veg, all out of various container gardens. Then a young garlic, a small pineapple and some other herbs and spices from old soil garden beds.
    I added 2 juicing carrots from the horse feed fridge and a stick of celery to make a quick sweet and sour stir fry.
    Very yummy!:eat:

14. Lois

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Nice. I am only picking loose leafed lettuce that is heading toward seeding. Your garden sounds like it is doing well. Good work no doubt. Still eating pumpkins, got next years in now. Trying Queensland Blue. Strawberries are doing good but my aching hands stop me from lifting the mesh covers which save them from the Guinea fowl.

15. ClissAT

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Oh Lois, how I wish I could skite and say it was down to good work!
    No, its down to sheer good luck that anything is growing at my place right now.
    The few brassicas that survived out of the 3 punnets planted (cauli, broc, cabbage), managed to grow on the smallest bit of grey water. What's managed to survive in the ground got there by sheer determination because none of the soil beds got any water during this dry spell.
    Re your strawberries Lois, do you mean you've succeeded in protecting them from the guinea fowl but now with fruit on you are unable to lift the covers to pick the fruit? That's not good!

• Like Like x 1