What are you harvesting/picking?

DarrenP

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Thought I'd start a thread to share what we are all getting out of our gardens. Obviously it will change as the seasons change, and it will be interesting to see what people are getting in different parts of the world.

So at the moment I am getting cherry tomatoes, both green and yellow zucchini, cucumbers, strawberries, and one or two tomatoes. Corn not far off.

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I just picked half a bucket of smallish mostly red capsicums tonight.
They all started life during the last rain which went for several days then the sun came out really hot so they are all sunburnt on one side.
But tasty anyway.
Also the occasional yellow or green zucchini & of course always shallots.
Recently I harvested my red onions & very young garlic which is going down a treat.
After not getting any tomatoes all year due to furry & feathered critter attack, I planted a few Bullocks hearts in my bathtub beds.
Now I am still not getting any tomatoes because some other critter is eating the actual flowers off the darned stems!
I have these beaut large strong plants getting a heap of flowers that disappear within days!
Very disheartening. :(

Letsgokate

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
letsgotravelaustralia.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I am winding my crops down for summer and giving beds a break. And me in the heat. Just have a couple I’m keeping going which has sweet spud in a couple. Starting to harvest Golden Nugget pumpkin, as well as beetroot and still some carrots, leeks. I’ve had cucumbers coming out my ears. Have a few new plants coming on. Have tomatoes, lettuce, herbs, capsicums.

DarrenP

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I neglected to mention the leafy greens and herbs.
I have a whole raised bed of perennial herbs: oregano, sage, thyme, sorrel, lemonbalm, and lemongrass. Also have basil and coriander growing.
Amaranth, mustard greens, lettuce, rocket, and have just sown some bok choy under shade cloth.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I have cucumbers ready for harvest they self-seeded at the wrong time of year (subtropical summer) yet seem to be growing well!

Still got kale, plenty of beans, asparagus, mangoes, even a few Valencia oranges still on the tree, limes, a few lemons, eggplant, Asian greens, Daikon radish, climbing spinach, coriander (again shouldn't be growing now but is), zucchini, dragon fruit yellow variety, chillies, nashi pears, garlic chives are going crazy, galangal, and mustard seed.

Robyn67

Premium Member
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
We're harvesting apples and rhubarb at the moment, one of the few things we are actually growing.

I'm restarting the veggie plots again as everyone here has inspired me, but doing it right and will spend time getting the soil right and everything ready for planting.

DarrenP

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Rhubarb is a battle here in the warm weather. Even though I planted it in shade, it needs a lot of water to keep it going.

Robyn67

Premium Member
Climate
My rhubarb has suffered in the last few days of heat and also the chickens have managed to get in and dig at the roots too. But it grows amazingly well here due to the colder climate - like apples I guess.

The native birds got most of our other stone fruit and the alpacas and sheep ate the grapes, blackberries and passionfruit just leaving a few stalks (we brought them into a different section because of a snake and they took full advantage of it)

Ash

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
asmedical.webege.com
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Yep, struggled with the stone fruit this year. Birds managed to peck their way through two sets of mesh covering on our peach tree and only leave us with a couple of good fruit to eat ourselves. Very uninspiring. But otherwise the veggie patch seems to be alive with tomatoes and corn. Hopefully they won't get hit...

Robyn67

Premium Member
Climate
Glad your veggies are going well. And the sneaky buggers getting through two nets.

unfortunately I didn't net ours off (actually glad I didn't as they didn't produce much this year).

In terms of birds, apart from our regulars, we get these magnificent black cockatoo's that have yellow tips on wings and tails (I don't know the names of birds), but these are huge and about twice the size of normal white cockatoo.

They are such inspiring birds and they only come at this time of year just to eat the stones out of the fruit - leave all the flesh.

DarrenP

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
They are yellow-tailed cockatoos, Robyn67.
Our apricot tree produced a fair crop this year, although smaller in size to last year. I managed to pick most of them before the birds got them. Cheeky buggers actually sat in the tree while I picked the fruit. I think I will invest in netting for next year.

Steve

Valued Member
Premium Member
Great idea for a thread that just keeps on giving....

I've only got cherry toms at the moment and the herbs are going nuts!
I did get one peach of our first year dwarf peach tree but it was a little on the dry side. All my other fruit trees are way too young to produce.

DarrenP

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
There was only one apricot tree when we moved in, but we've planted a lot ourselves. They are a few years away from fruiting.
Picked a bowl full of cherry and Apollo Improved tomatoes today.

Helen Auriga

Ecological Farming & Landcare
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Currently picking yellow zucchini, blueberries, raspberries, lettuce, beans and beetroot.

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I just harvested the last of the capsicums that tasted like chilies! Then gave the dried out bushes a hard hair cut. Hopefully they'll give a second crop after some water.
My mangoes are on the verge of needing to be picked before the birds & bats get them.
5 trees each between 5 & 7m high all heavy with fruit but much of it is stung by those little fruit fly gnats due to damage from the hail storm some time back.
Today I netted the grape vine after finding 3 (still green) bunches on it!
Iceberg Lettuce are now big enough to give up the occasional outside leaf.
Cucumbers is going great guns as I get aprox 1 fruit daily from that vine.
Pawpaws had a few small ripe fruit that I picked today. I don't have enough grey water to keep them going for more fruit at this stage so they'll have to fend for themselves until the rains come again.

DarrenP

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Picked a tub of cherry tomatoes, and a few Mighty Red Improved. Strawberries are plentiful, if not a great size. Will pick the yellow beans today.

Lois

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Thought I'd start a thread to share what we are all getting out of our gardens. Obviously it will change as the seasons change, and it will be interesting to see what people are getting in different parts of the world.

So at the moment I am getting cherry tomatoes, both green and yellow zucchini, cucumbers, strawberries, and one or two tomatoes. Corn not far off.
FB_IMG_1514342362898.jpg

DarrenP

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Picked the first few corn ears. A little bit on the small/skinny side, so a little disappointed.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Plenty of chillies growing at the moment... all came up on their own (self-seeded) from last seasons mild cayenne but we now have a really large variety that must have crossed with something. They are still mild.

We often use the mild chillies instead of capsicum because fruit fly doesn't sting them so we can them openly without netting.

mild green cayenne chillies growing in garden.jpg
bulls horn or big red chilli cross with cayenne - not sure.jpg

Top Bottom