website chat

Steve

Valued Member
Premium Member
as posted above, If anyone is interested, i'm looking for some feedback / advice on this site.
http://geekvswild.com/
Create today - Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Geek-vs-Wild/927038674030238?ref=hl

I've been working on it over the last few weeks, i'm still feeling it out. With me, nothing is definite, I like to work on things for a while (years) and see how they go.
I like to get in to the process and stick a few articles up just to see how the site could possibly work.

edit: I know we've got a few photographers here, so I feel the pressure.

Hey Stevo, I just had a quick look at both the Facebook and the main site.
Both look really good. I'd say the main site looks and works better but I think that's because Facebook is a little less inviting to me and not because you did anything wrong on Facebook, probably just that its a timeline and I hate scrolling for ever.

Nice work mate, you know what you're doing that's fur-sure.

Cheers,

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Thanks for the feedback Steve. Yeah I enjoy working on the website more than the facebook page. I'm not sure about the facebook page so don't put too much effort in to it, not sure where it can go. I see issues with FB pages, people can like FB pages but updates don't appear on users walls. I've noticed that with a lot of pages, they can make some new posts and even though the page has thousands of likes, the actual only gets 2 likes? so it looks like people just don't see it.

anyways, so far the site is working for me, I chuck a few photos up from what i'm doing at the time. See how it goes.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Facebook is a scam when it comes to a business or website page they make you pay on a percentage scale to access the people who have liked your page. Organic sharing only automatically gets fed to a small percentage of people who like your page. You get more value out of G+ or twitter than fb.

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Speaking of scams Mark. I find the latest Google "Mobile Compliant Website" preferences a bit crap. As you probably know they had a bit media thing on the news and sent out emails to everyone - I got one.. saying that if I didn't upgrade some websites they would be sent to hell. I rolled my eyes.

I like doing websites and have done various ones for different people on an amateur level. I made one a few years ago for a mechanic I know which isn't "Google Mobile Compliant". It works fine on a smart phone, sure the menus don't go mobile wacky and they just stay still and it looks like a normal website on a smart phone, and what's wrong with that.. you can still navigate the website with no problem.

I think Google is just trying to "encourage" people to "get their crap together"? but I think the "threat" of penalties is a bit much.

That mechanics website still rates pretty well I reckon in the Google searchers, so I tend to think their "threat" may have been empty, or not implemented yet. The mechanic doesn't have much spare money for website stuff and isn't really interested in that kind of stuff so an upgrade isn't really on high priority.. but I guess will happen one day.

/rant - ramble off :hysterical:

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
This is very true and I've spent a lot of time chasing my tail trying to get all those Google website ratings at 5 only to realise you'll never be perfect enough for their crappy auto analysis program.

I'm over it now and mostly ignore Google website analysis warnings or tips.

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
/rant, ....Bloody facebook again... I have a few pages and I keep getting notifications that say "Your page has two new likes and one new comment" or variations of that. I click the link and it opens a "New status comment text box" for me to make a new post on that page. So there actually isn't any new likes or comments, it's just a weird way to try and make you make a new post. Some marketing guru in their office has thought that one up :crazy:

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Facebook pesters me constantly but I usually just delete the messages now because I've found little value in playing the FB game since they decided to limit who sees your feed unless you pay money. Instagram although owned by FB is a little better (for now) but I don't use it much either - my best traffic generator for my blog is search engines, YouTube, and G+ and this forum...

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Facebook is ok for some and can be useful if the majority of your audience is on fb and are active fb users eg Morayfield Mums Group or something like that; however, if your niche is not as social or commercial then fb can become a waste of time. I use fb to mainly auto post to just to grab the small percentage who come across my page and get the free milage out of a few shares - it helps I guess...

When it comes to paying for fb to share my stuff to everyone who has "liked" my page or website, I'd rather put money into a competition here on SSC to benefit our members.

G+ is particularly geared towards good images/video or clever one liners and its shares are organic (not based off money) I think it would suit your type of game ;)

Top Bottom