vikinglord13

Andrew
Premium Member
Website
www.facebook.com
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hello all,

I recently moved from Southern California to Naperville, Illinois so that's a drastic agricultural zone difference for me. My wife and I purchased seeds to grow carrots, broccoli, onions, and greens. This is both of our first times growing food for ourselves, we also plan to feed some to our bearded dragon :)

I'll be posting updates here, as well as videos to my Youtube channel. I follow Mark who has been an inspiration for me.

I'm on the look out for different means of pest control for our new veggies which we will be growing in pots. I'm wanting to lean towards organic so hopefully I'll find some good threads here.

Thank you all!

-Andrew

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi there Andrew, bearded dragons come from my neck of the woods!
I knew they ate a bit of fruit and veg but shouldn't you be breeding meal worms, beetles or wood cochroaches and small grasshoppers for yours?

vikinglord13

Andrew
Premium Member
Website
www.facebook.com
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi ClissAT young beardies need about 80% protein/insect and 20% veggies but when they're adults they transition to about 80% veggies and 20% insects. We're Ember live mealworm, and freeze-dried mealworms and crickets for now, we'll transition to superworm when he gets bigger.

Here's a video of our garden winter review :)

vikinglord13

Andrew
Premium Member
Website
www.facebook.com
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hello all,
Here's an update on our garden. It's focusing mainly on our ornamental side of things; it gives a sneak peak to our veggie garden though.

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Oh, I thought it was just my shortcut.
Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one having trouble with the site.
Mark is most likely working on it.
Interesting re the dragons. I try to have suitable food for them growing/ alive in the wilds of my horse paddocks.
I'll have to think how I can add extra variety for them. I don't have feed stations or anything like that but I encourage plants and small invertebrates and animals by setting suitable habitat and leaving a lot of the grass longer.
My neighbours hate me because all they can see is a massive fire risk!
But due to the way they manage their properties to have them like dead bowling greens, mine is the only habitat in the whole valley for lizards, snakes, small mammals, small birds, etc.

vikinglord13

Andrew
Premium Member
Website
www.facebook.com
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Thanks Mark! I love your channel and I'm glad to have found this forum. :)

Meanwhile, here are the results of our first veggie garden from seed to harvest, in egg carton!

Top Bottom