Very Simple (free) all weather chook feeder

Discussion in 'Poultry, Domestic Livestock, Pets, & Bees' started by ClissAT, Jun 30, 2018.

1. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    You cant get much simpler than this drum & if you have the eye bolt then it is basically free.
    Also rodent & weather proof. And food comes out slowly so they cant guts it down.
    What more does a chook need?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Letsgokate

Letsgokate Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    It would stop them picking through the food too and only eating the bits they like and leaving the rest all over the ground.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Spot on thinking Letsgo, I didn't even think of that benefit!:thumbsup:

In the video you can see the one dominant chook gets first crack but then she quickly fills up or looses interest & wanders off allowing the lesser hens to have a go too.

I think I will try this bucket concept when I get more chooks because the one short coming of the treadle feeder is that the dominant chook come in after the lesser chooks have opened the feeder. So the dominant chook takes over & moves the others out of the way.

I'll have to think of a way that the feed doesn't come in contact with the ground. Some sort of hubcap maybe under the bucket to catch the feed.
    Feeding off the ground in the pen where there is a concentration of manure fines when its really dusty or muddy is a way for chooks to be reinfected with worms.