Tricks to tell if eggs are fertile or not... quail, chicken, duck

Discussion in 'Poultry, Domestic Livestock, Pets, & Bees' started by Mark, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hi Yan,

I don't mind you posting here and even sharing information on your products as long as you don't go too overboard and keep it fair by contributing tips etc at the same time.

Cheers :)

2. Berkeloid

Berkeloid Well-Known Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    @YAN: Do you make any incubators with better heating elements in them? Lots of people complain that they break very quickly and cannot maintain the temperature properly unless you completely cover them in insulation. I am reluctant to buy an incubator from China because of all the stories I have heard from people who lost many eggs because their incubator heater stopped working.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Perry

Perry Well-Known Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    G'day,
    I hatch eggs all the time. I have a 50 egg incubator and each hatch I get between 25 - 30 baby chickens.
    This system seem very tempting to try. What size light bulb would you need to put under the eggs tray. I think you could make up a tray buy drilling holds in a 30 egg carton.
    I would appreciate a reply please.
    Cheers Perry

4. Perry

Perry Well-Known Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    G'day,
    I have taken all that CoolblueDude on board. I have newly laid eggs are ready to test. I will put a couple of None Fertile with a cross on them. I will check when they hatch how well I went.
    Thank you so much for the reply and information.
    Cheers Perry

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mari Mari

Mari Mari New Member

Climate:
    Tropical
    Hi all! I'm super excited I found this thread! Where I work a gang of chickens and roosters were dropped off and they have taken over out warehouse and trucks and laying eggs like crazy! we have around 20 something eggs already. Now my supervisor keeps throwing them away, it breaks my heart! What can I do to know if they are fertile and help the process? I am looking to buy a house and I want to build a chicken coop and take the chickens and roosters with me. Help! any advise will be great!

• Like Like x 1
  6. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hi there Mari Mari and welcome.
    Such luck that such valuable food animals as chooks have been dumped at your work doorstep!

As for telling if the eggs are fertile, its pretty much impossible. Except to say there is a pretty good chance they will be fertile because roosters are very good at doing their job! If you get my drift!
    If you put the egg in a glass of water and it floats, it is bad therefore dead so add it to the compost. Eggs can go cold if they are fairly fresh, but once they've been sat on for several days they must not go cold or they may die.
    There is an old wives tale about if there is a blood spot in the egg it is fertile but thats untrue. The blood spot is the result of the hen's ovary becoming overworked from producing lots of eggs and bits of the ovarian lining break off to get trapped inside the yolk as it forms. Its not the baby chick forming!
    Probably best to let nature take its course and let a clucky hen sit on a batch of eggs and see what happens in 36 days time.
    Apart from that just watch the hens ho see where they lay their eggs and keep collecting them to have fresh eggs daily.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. reeeen4

reeeen4 Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Awesome post! I tried candling my last eggs which all failed but I still couldn't really tell. I found it really hard to see through the shells event though I had a proper egg candling torch I bought from Bellsouth. Maybe it's because I still don't really know what I'm looking for :blush:.

Would love to see more incubators on the market manufactured using more insulated materials rather then plastic and one's with better heaters too.