Question Tree Mulch

TerryB

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Greetings all! I am keen on Mark's videos, and have built 2 new raised beds with sheet metal roofing, and filled in with Tree stumps, etc.

After preparing the soil, I decided to plant seeds for beans, peas, beets, and lettuce. 1- days later and the lettuces are peeping through! A start. Then it occured to me that Ineed to mulch the beds, which leadz to my question:

Is it OK/safe to use wood chips as mulch on top of the seedlings? I have access to as much as I want, and have used them in thee orchard for years. The mulch is mostly Monterey Cypress. Any guidance is much appreciated. Cheers!

t4ms

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi,

I'm not from California so I can't comment on Monterey Cypress wood chips as such. How big are the chips? Over here, wood mulch can have quite large pieces which makes watering seedlings a challenge. The water doesn't reach the roots.

So, if you're going to use a bulky mulch I'd insert some kind of system where you can water the roots of the plants. I upcycle plastic containers for this. They can be easily removed once the plants are well established with strong root systems:

https://sustainablepain.com/watering-a-heavily-mulched-garden-bed-using-upcycled-plastic-containers/

I'm envious that you have access to as much mulch as you want. I'm prepping myself for some guerilla leaf collection in the upcoming weeks. I live in an area with a lot of introduced deciduous trees and I'll be patrolling the neighbourhood roadside gutters with a rake and bag!

reeeen4

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I have seen quite a few people use semi-composted wood mulch on garden beds, wood mulch would probably work fine but smaller seeds like carrots and lettuce might have a hard time pushing up through it I would think.

TerryB

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Thanks for your reply. I decided to thin it out a bit, and will add more as the seedlings develop. Keep you all posted.

Attachments

• 20200314_142754.jpg
    20200314_142754.jpg
    418.8 KB · Views: 364
Top Bottom