Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    And wake you up to early in the morning :p

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    When we were in SaPa at our homestay the rooster started crowing at 3am!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mary Playford

Mary Playford Well-Known Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    The roosters in our neighbourhood were our alarm clock growing up. At 6AM, they all go off. Once stirred, you cannot go back to sleep because very soon you will hear the rest of the family outside your house, looking for breakfast in your garden :D

A few years ago, I went back home and I noticed that some started crowing around 2AM. What’s up with that? Are they scared of the spooks or someone forgot to tell them that its bed time still LOL.

5. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I've experienced this before also and I'm not sure why they sometimes do it... :think:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Shannon Robinson

Shannon Robinson Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Arid, Desert, or Dry
    I think that production birds have the instinct bred out of them. They crow when they see lights, even bathroom lights in the night. Our rooster did this last year, but we have been giving rewards, like garden grubs and extra chard when he lets us sleep in. Now he crows at about 8 am. I don’t know if the treats worked or not. Maybe he just figured it out when he matured.

7. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    When my hens finally succumbed to egg laying diseases several years ago, I decided not to get more cluckles until I had the garden planned out properly and protected by nets etc.
    The chooks are fine except they scratch up everything.
    Time has gone on and recently I decided not to bother getting more chooks because the expense outweighed the value in eggs and fertilizer.
    But my neighbours got 8hens and a rooster early last year so it was only a matter of time before those birds found their way to my garden and dug it up!
    My neighbours are rednecks who seem to want to do everything they can to annoy me so they don't have a problem with the damage their chooks are doing to my place.
    The rooster seems hellbent on finding new hunting grounds as often as he can.
    A couple of weeks ago I was woken out of a deep afternoon nap by crowing coming from the downstairs part of my house.
    They were inside downstairs! What a mess! :faint:
    With my arms not working so well these days, firstly I wasn't able to shoo them out as physically as I would have liked which itself made me angry, but then I couldn't clean up the mess straight away. :censored::quiver:

The next day I followed their trail of destruction across my garden where I've just planted fresh veg seedings in compost that was made in the worm farm all through last year while I wasn't able to do any physical gardening.
    Only a few things planted high in the bathtub beds survived the onslaught.
    So now it's not only wildlife that might decimate my garden, it's the neighbour's chooks I have to watch out for.
    But they won't put up netting along our common fence line because it's too hard for him to whipper snip when he mows their lawn. I don't think that's a viable excuse.
    Of course what they are wanting, is for me to pay to keep their animals out of my garden...... and house! :mad::faint:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  8. Universalpuzzle

Universalpuzzle Active Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Talk to your council..they have rules re this... not acceptable behaviour by your neighbour he is responsible to keep his animals under control.

9. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Lol! Yes all rules are good in theory!
    But this is a rural area where most rules don't apply!
    Living under such conditions is a double edged sword.
    However I do wonder how they would react if I let my horses wander at will across their primped lawn!

10. Jo M

Jo M Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I LOVE THIS ARTICLE!
    The roosters here seem to be the favorites they have a bolder personality and will be the first to come when you call them. My Grandchildren get very attached so we have 6 roosters now seperated in pens but the favorite pen has a grouping of 3 roosters that live happily together (No hens in the pen / No Fighting.)

20190328_194331.jpg 20200119_134318.jpg 20200117_154242.jpg We move them around the yard in this little *Keeper* and they have a coop in the winter to stay warm in the cold. But they love the kids too :thumbsup:

I prefer the crowing to the neighbor dog barking. we have never had complaints about the roosters and they usually crow if something is *OFF* a mouse in the coop, a noise outside. It is a way to tell the hens "be alert"

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020 at 12:36 AM
  11. Universalpuzzle

Universalpuzzle Active Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    I would still have a chat to the council.. know your rights before talking to your neighbour.