Tomatoes

Rick

Premium Member
GOLD
Aug 23, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi all Rick here. Just wondering in the pictures attached if this is a fungus growing on the leaves. just moved the plants from the hot house to plant out and within 2 days the leaves went white. Was hopping if someone could help me out here.

Attachments

Robbie

Premium Member
GOLD
Feb 7, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Whitening of the tomato leaves can be caused by intense light, if the glass is frosted on your hothouse then transplanting directly into a bright area of your garden could cause the whitening of the leaves. You really need to harden off your plants first before transplanting into there permanent position.

Reactions: DivingTemptress

Rick

Premium Member
GOLD
Aug 23, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi Robbie, yes that makes sense they were in a shaded humid area and I planted them out on a 25d dry day. Normally I plant my tomatoes as seeds directly in position but this year tried seedlings Thanks much appreciated

DivingTemptress

Premium Member
GOLD
Feb 7, 2020
Nassau Bay, Texas USA
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Rick,

start more seeds of different varieties now and don't worry, the new leaves will be just fine. Just remember next season .... hardening off is essential when starting in a greenhouse.

Happy Gardening,
P J, the Dirt Diva

Rick

Premium Member
GOLD
Aug 23, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi PJ Thanks for the advice. Sorry didn't reply earlier have been flat out at my farm preparing for summer, and this year had a massive growth of Paterson's curse, so have been introducing a bio agent to control it over the next few year. Also as Mark says i had a ton of new born Herefords and Angus caves to deal with. The tomatoes recovered as you said and have started the Harding off for the rest of my seedlings.

all the best

Rick