Time saving tips for acreage living

Discussion in 'Other' started by Mark, Jan 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    @Louise brought up an interesting topic in her Introduction thread about how to save time when you are working and also running your acreage.

So if anyone has some good ideas or time saving tips they employ on their own properties please write them in this thread so we can get a good collection for everyone to reference!

Cheers :)

One of the things I've done to save time in my chicken pen is to make feeders and drinkers that hold enough feed and water to keep the birds going for about a week at least. This way, I'm not in the pen spending extra time filling feeders and drinkers every day. Every little bit helps!

• Like Like x 1
  2. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Think well ahead, plan well ahead, extrapolate occurrences, make lots of lists & keep them up to date.
    Write down how you think something should pan out, (the order things should happen in) then once the occasion has occurred go back & check whether your forethought & forward planning was good enough & whether there were any nasty surprises along the way like shortfalls in your knowledge base.

This seems like a real drudge or pedantic action to begin with but for someone who has their first acreage & is still working 40hrs as well commuting for hours, it is a good exercise to learn what degree of forward planning is necessary.

Once you get the knack of forward planning, you will soon begin to add acreage things to your midweek shopping list so you don't have to rush out on Saturday arvo which wastes valuable work time to get a project done by late Sunday. Like mower fuel or gal coach screws or wire for that fence repair.

Making a list of things that need repair or construction & an accompanying list of requisites & materials & where you will shop for them reveals a story & a train of action. You might see that one thing needs fixing before another thing can be constructed or vice versa. Then you might see that the off cuts from one project will fit the bill for another repair job.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  3. David - coona

David - coona Active Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    I work 4 days a week in a larger rural town, I take lists (ala Cliss) of things to buy/hire/research. Also take the time to list all the jobs that need doing this week can you group them together by location on the farm? Visualise the job to be done beforehand SEE what tools you are using (saves on the legs when you have not forgotten the pliers )
    Mulch the veg beds - saves time weeding
    Simplify the watering system, wives are happier if they only need to turn 1 tap and flick a switch.
    Work when it is cooler, I find we are more productive @20C @4am than 40C @2pm

• Like Like x 2
  4. Flatland

Flatland Well-Known Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Arid, Desert, or Dry
    Take rests. Just like working when it is cooler if you are doing some physically heavy job (at the moment we are moving huge pile of dirt) if you take rests either just sitting down & admiring the view or doing some other easy task in the long run you get the job done quicker.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Very good advice, Flatland.
    My son & I are doing an urgent, heavy job in full 100degree tropical drought ridden sun today & we expect it will take a few hours due to the number of rests we will have to take in the shade.