this weather, power outages, etc

Discussion in 'Chin Wag' started by ClissAT, Mar 30, 2017.

1. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    How is everyone getting on with the power outages?
    Did anyone get damage or flooding?
    Do we have any members in the cyclone zone?

I thought I had escaped the worst of it all.
    But you know what thought thought, don't you! :cautious:

Anyway we lost power tonight & after a bit of a wait I started the genie.

So I will be up on & off during the night to change over fridges & freezers to keep all cold.

Tanks are running over so showering under the overflow is always good on such a humid evening as this one is.

But I will run a lead to my bedroom to run a fan. Too hot & humid to sleep otherwise.:heat:

Today there was 150ml rain most of which fell during the day time & much less fell last night.
    I read my rain gauge at 6pm.
    The land was so parched there has been virtually no flooding in this area or along the Mary River.
    We went for a drive this arvo to check various rivers & creeks & were surprised at how little run-off there was.
    My dam is full & overflowing, my creek is running, tanks are all full & overflowing.
    My fruit trees think its xmas with all this rain water to suck up as do the few vegies I have planted.
    I'm getting lovely red pawpaws that are growing so fast.
    And one dragon fruit vine that already had one nice fruit has 2 new flowers.
    It just shows how much rain this place/soil needs to produce good fruit & veg.
    There has only been 7 rain free days this month at my place with several 100ml of rain.(I won't tally it up until tomorrow evening, last day of the month.

2. Ash

Ash Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    It's still going on at the moment with howling winds and smattering of rain here and there around Toowoomba - we had about 70mm last night, and a further 40-50mm today (my rain gauge couldn't handle the amount over the last 48 hours!) with normally dry creeks overflowing on our side of town.

Attached Files:

3. Ash

Ash Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    These are scenes at a local Lake leading in from East Creek that has had quite a lot of flood mitigation work done by the local council since the big floods of 2011. It appears the overall water load remains overwhelming for the drainage system.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. stevo

stevo Backyard Farmer Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Good to hear your dam is full Clissa.

Ash, when I first looked I thought that boardwalk was broken, but that's the design, unless they're batteries went flat on their powersaws so they couldn't trim up those planks.

We had some big winds last night, I was a bit concerned about losing a roof or someone elses roof coming over. BOM had a reading of 78kph and the news said Redcliffe recorded gusts at 115kph.

With a water logged ground and the high winds, I have one tree that leaned over to meet the ground, I reckon it'd probably still grow like that as the roots are still in the ground but I might trim it up a bit and call it "art".

• Like Like x 1
  5. letsgo

letsgo Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    We faired ok as well. Lots of rain, both ends of our street flood and the road closes. Hubby came home early to make sure he could get in. Place copes with rain fine, tank is full but we only have one, so wished we had a few decent sizes ones, one day.

Windy last night that had things falling on the roof, some big branches came down, had branches in the clothes line. No damage, we did a big emu parade this morning and had a very full trailer load for the tip.

We can hear chainsaws off in each direction as people are also cleaning up there yards.

Nice blue skies today.

Hope everyone is ok too

• Like Like x 1
  6. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Right before I went to bed last night I checked the Energex website outages page & it said the next update would be 1am which I wasn't waiting up for.
    For some locations it said work was underway to restore services.
    This morning I looked again only to be depressed by the new message saying next update is now tomorrow night 9pm!!
    Not one area had the "working to restore services" message.
    ***?!?!
    Don't they get overtime pay anymore?
    Cant they work on weekends or days off now either?

Anyway my genie is coming in very handy.
    Done some sewing, making bread, running the internet & pc's & tv.
    As well as 3 fridges & 1 freezer.
    I am doing washing but have to hand bucket the water in from around the back where the tanks are.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Berkeloid

Berkeloid Active Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I've had similar issues with Energex in past outages - they send the crews out, they just don't bother updating the web site very often. Seems it's not tied in with their internal systems so someone has to sit down and manually update it.

You're really lucky to have a generator. I'd love to have one myself for those extended outages but don't have the room where I am now. But it's definitely on my wish list when I move to a larger property!

• Like Like x 1
  8. David - coona

David - coona Active Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Aldi was selling 3500 watt genie pure sine wave, 3 outlet,10 litre fuel tank, $399, this morning. I got one, MIL needs air con for next summer so this should do the trick.

9. Berkeloid

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    That's pretty good! How long would the 10 litre tank last do you think if you had it fully loaded? I have no idea how cheap or expensive they are to run.

10. David - coona

David - coona Active Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    According to the book 5 hrs@100%, 9 hrs@50%, ,12 hrs@25%.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. stevo

stevo Backyard Farmer Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Let us know how the Aldi generator performs!

12. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I used to fish for yabbies in there when I was a kid! Spent hours catching them :)

13. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    BTW, our place got hit by lightning (or the strike was very close) and it tripped out our power board plus fried our Telstra modem (no internet for 4 days) :rolleyes:

14. Berkeloid

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Ouch! Did you have the modem plugged into a surge suppressor out of curiosity? I've heard that the surge suppression the telcos put on the phone lines is so good that a big enough surge tends to find the phone line as the best route to ground, so anything causing a surge like a nearby lightning strike has a tendency to fry any delicate electronics plugged into the phone line. I'm not sure whether that's true or whether it's really the reverse, and the long phone lines allow a surge in through the modem where if you're lucky, that's as far as it goes.

Years ago I had a dialup modem that was zapped by a nearby strike. It was one of those strikes close enough that you could clearly smell the ozone in the air immediately afterwards - although in hindsight it probably wasn't the best idea to run outside immediately after a lightning strike while the storm is still directly overhead - but I never could quite figure out how it was damaged when the computer it was plugged in to worked perfectly afterwards...

15. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Correct, the power was connected to a surge protected board but I think it was the surge flowing through the phone line that killed it. My new PC and everything else survived no worries.

• Like Like x 1