Thanks Mark for all the videos

Berkeloid

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi all,

I just wanted to say thanks to Mark for all the videos he's posted on YouTube!

I stumbled across them a few months ago and found them really interesting, and became a little addicted to watching them! I've just about finished watching every single one to the end now. It was great seeing the journey from the first video five years ago to today. It has been truly inspiring. Thanks Mark!

I'm stuck (financially speaking) in a one bedroom apartment at the moment but for a long time now I've been wanting to move onto acreage, and I love the idea of growing some of my own food and keeping animals like ducks and chickens. Being able to follow along with Mark has been incredibly informative, as so many videos are about the types of things you will encounter in that kind of lifestyle. It's been great to learn about what I'll be getting myself in for, if I can realise my dream one day!

I'm looking forward to seeing what the new satirical videos look like, and I'm glad to hear the normal videos will continue. Those videos are great for anyone planning to switch to that lifestyle one day. I love seeing the updates about what grew and what didn't, especially as I'm in SE QLD as well (and plan to get acreage here too) so it's all very relevant for me - there's not a lot of YT videos about food gardening in SE QLD! I'm really looking forward to seeing how the arch trellis turns out too. Since seeing a photo of this with veggies hanging down inside the archway I have always wanted to do a similar thing, so I'm very interested to see how that turns out Mark if you end up doing this!

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks Mark, love the videos and keep 'em coming if you can :)

Letsgokate

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
letsgotravelaustralia.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
My son lives in an apartment in Brisbane and grows a few veggies in anything he can get his hands on, on his balcony which is onky small, he has done really well. So it's amazing what you can grow in small spaces

Marks videos are great, I'm sure lots of people have benefitted from them including myself.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Thanks guys!

I'm flattered you enjoy my videos and your support inspires me to make more.

The truth is I really love making videos and the changes I'm making are designed to extend or improve my online work.

I'm delving into comedy/satire because it's something I think I will enjoy creating for entertainment but I still intend to stay true to my self-sufficiency videos, images, and writing.

I will likely increase my content creation by making a "prepper" video once a week whilst still keeping my regular stuff.

It should be fun to see how it goes... one can only have a go in life and we should never be afraid of failure.

Berkeloid

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
My son lives in an apartment in Brisbane and grows a few veggies in anything he can get his hands on, on his balcony which is onky small, he has done really well. So it's amazing what you can grow in small spaces

I've started doing this myself and really enjoying it, but there's lots to learn! My desire to move onto acreage is more about getting away from people though - in Mark's latest video it's clear he's not fond of the neighbour's barking dog, and this is something I can totally understand and identify with. I'm getting tired of living so close to other people as most of them aren't very considerate. Loud conversations and honking car horns at 3am, dumping furniture all over the place so someone else has to clean it up, having to breathe cigarette smoke from neighbours (not very pleasant when you're a non-smoker), the list goes on. I can't wait to get away from it all!

I think Mark said his place is about three acres, so very informative that even at that size property you still have to put up with your neighbours on occasion. Sounds like I will have to look for a much larger place to get my serenity :)

Letsgokate

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I think some of it is where you buy the property and how good your neighbours are. We are only on 3/4 acre but are surrounded by bigger properties, 8 acres and the like. But at times people will still have the occasional party and you can hear some music but not like is suburbia though. We have lived on residential blocks some are great, with great neighbours and still private where as other's a like you describe. Our last place we rented was like that, came home from an 8 week trip, feral neighbours parked on our lawn, we bought this place a week later :) Have to say we love where we live :D

We have also heard about how some people like to live on rural properties so they are not close to their neighbours and play their music loud and not bother people as much.

We like to go away camping and have done some big trips in our camper, nothing like being in the middle of nowhere with not a sole in sight, with a million stars up above enjoying the peace and quiet :)

Berkeloid

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Stop, stop, you're making it sound too good :)

It would be nice to be able to play loud music when you want to and not worry about annoying the neighbours so I can definitely understand that too.

It sounds like you have a nice place now though for under an acre. I guess the "catch" is that the smaller the block, the more you rely on your neighbours being good.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Sounds like I will have to look for a much larger place to get my serenity :)
That's just because I was right at our front fence... the truth is our place is serene and barking dogs are not a problem out the backyard or especially inside.

We're currently doing some renovations and every tradie so far has commented on how quiet our property is :)

You don't need to live on a big farm to get away from noisy city or suburbia just pic the right spot.

Berkeloid

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I think that would be a really good idea. It would be great if there was a thread for each new video - I think it's much nicer to discuss them here than on YouTube, some of the comments you get over there...

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Yeah I do post the odd video and create a separate thread but I don't post them all. Perhaps I should...

It's just that I'm careful not to make this forum website another "blog of Mark's" if you know what I mean...?

I auto post every new video on my blog and sometimes write an article to accompany the video but I do understand that it's much easier to comment/discuss the video here instead of on youtube or my blog.

Berkeloid

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
That's a fair point, but maybe if you created a new subforum called "Video discussions" it could help? Those who aren't interested can then skip the whole subforum, and other members could announce their videos in there too so it wouldn't just be you posting (assuming other people make videos of course!)

I have often had a few questions after watching your videos (mostly along the lines of "how did that turn out" when I haven't seen a followup about it) but these questions don't really warrant their own threads. So sticking them in a discussion about the video would be perfect!

If you did this you could always put a link to the forum thread in the video description to help direct more traffic here too.

Letsgokate

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I think that would be a really good idea. It would be great if there was a thread for each new video - I think it's much nicer to discuss them here than on YouTube, some of the comments you get over there...
Totally agree. When I go to make comments on Youtube it wants to log me into another account that I don't want to make comments with.

It's just that I'm careful not to make this forum website another "blog of Mark's" if you know what I mean...?
Understand what you are saying but you just need to start the post and then let everyone comment and discuss. After all that is what this forum is about. When I first came across your blog and made comments you directed me to here. Posting here would attract more people here and create more conversation. I think it's good to have everything link to each other. People can choose not to read or comment.

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Maybe if it was a forum section that everyone could post videos in then it wouldn't be all Marks blog.

I see the forum category called "Members Articles" only has one post in there, maybe you could call it "Members Articles & Videos". That way it doesn't add a new category and could possibly boost an existing category.

OskarDoLittle

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I'd be more likely to check that as I can easily find my way here...but not sure how to find the videos otherwise (I'm youtube illiterate)

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Ok, I have changed the Forum node title to Members Articles & Videos (under General Discussions) so let's use that forum to post our personal videos. Naturally, videos can still be posted elsewhere too where appropriate for discussion but if we can get into a habit of posting personal vids for individual discussion purposes solely about that media (for example, like those from my YouTube Ch) then as Stevo pointed out it would give this area some more needed traffic.

Speaking of this forum I want to broaden the article section to include practically anything! So if you want to write an article (short or long) about any subject I encourage you all to give it a go. I have a few "rants" I want to get off my chest so I might be adding to out article list soon :)

Top Bottom