Stating from Scratch

Discussion in 'Fruit & Vegetable Growing' started by Wedgetail, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Wedgetail

Wedgetail Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hi everyone thought I would give a brief outline of what has happened in the garden side of our new block. The area I have for the veggy garden and orchard were so dense with Lantana and grader grass you couldn't push your way through so I hired a bobcat and pushed it all up into piles which we will burn when the weather's right . All the Lantana stumps that where left I chopped out with the axe to give a reasonable work area .Have enclosed the veggy garden in temporary fencing until we put up the permenent rabbit proof fence. The fruit trees are still in pots in their enclosure to stop walibie's and next doors cows and covered with bird netting to stop the Green fig bird getting all the mulberry fruit. Will try to put up some photos Thanks for reading Dave 20190929_173053.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    That all looks very good and well planned.
    Gosh you have the full gammet of bludging critters!
    Much like I have!
    I like your fruit tree enclosure.

3. Wedgetail

Wedgetail Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I guess with it been so dry for so long every critter is hungry that may change after today as we had a thunder storm 55 Mil in a hour very wet at the moment. Once We plant out the fruit trees we will be making a dome over them with 100mm poly which was on the block when we bought it and cover it with bird netting. Regards Dave

4. DTK

DTK Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical

5. DTK

DTK Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Looks like good progress Dave. Thanks for sharing.

6. Wedgetail

Wedgetail Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Thanks DTK it's a work in progress hopefully by this time next year we will have caught up on alot of other jobs and the gardens will be a lot bigger and fully fenced. Dave

• Like Like x 1
  7. Raymondo

Raymondo Active Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Aah lantana , a blessing in disguise , lantana has such a heavy leaf drop , I believe up to 4 times a year the soil underneath should be very rich in humus , sometimes the worst weeds have some surprising benefits , keep mulching and you are on a winner , cheers Ray

• Like Like x 1
  8. Wedgetail

Wedgetail Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hi Ray it's been so dry I don't think there is one leaf on any Lantana plants but that will soon change as last week had a total of 64mm. All our land is quiet steep so most of the natural mulch gets washe'd in to the creek leaving hard clay and rock which is a bit of a challenge but as you say perseverance will pay off. Cheers Dave

• Like Like x 1
  9. Raymondo

Raymondo Active Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Sounds like some Swales could be the go preventing washouts while retaining moisture, soil may take a while to build up but it will happen , if your mulch and humus gets washed into the creek , is it possible to retrieve some of this , it should be nicely broken down and would be good for your regeneration project . The longest journey starts with just one step as long as we are moving in the right direction that's all that matters cheers Ray

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wedgetail

Wedgetail Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hi Ray thanks for your helpful comments made a start today on a very sloping piece of ground using some bales of pasture hay to help slow any runoff and catch the soil and hopefully this will all compost down and be the start of the beds for next season . Regards Dave