Starting an aquaponics project

Discussion in 'Hydroponics & Aquaponics' started by mouseinthehouse, Feb 9, 2013.

1. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Active Member

We are very keen to put together a simple beginners aquaponics project this year. the www.backyardaquaponics.com website is an amazing resource. I am going to follow their step by step starter instructions to get a small unit going. My SO has a work colleague who has a good set up in his backyard so we are going to get some good ideas and advice there too.
    I will try to document our project with photos and commentary as we get started in the next couple of months.

2. becky3086

becky3086 Active Member Premium Member

I would love to see this. I love the idea of aquaponics but have no way to start anything like that here.

3. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I'm very interested in aquaponics too - looking forward to seeing how you go with it, so post some pics please if you can and describe how hard or easy it is to get set-up. It's pretty fascinating how symbiotic or eco-cyclic aquaponics apparently can become if the system is done right.

4. stevo

stevo Backyard Farmer Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    an old thread, but anywas, My sister inlaw is just setting up a small aqauponics system at the moment. Everything is in place, she's even growing lettuce in the bed, but is wating to get hold of some fish. I thought it looked pretty good but lots of work to grow plants.

5. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Yeah, it would be interesting to see some images here of people's set-ups and their "real" feelings if it is actually worth the trouble to do. I think it might be a little too costly compared with a standard vege patch and how much room is there to actually grow stuff?