Spyderco Tri-angle Sharpmaker Knife Sharpener

1. Steve

Steve Valued Member Premium Member

Steve submitted a new Showcase Item:

Spyderco Tri-angle Sharpmaker Knife Sharpener

Read more about this showcase item here...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I've been through so many knife sharpening tools it's ridiculous! Those chef stick things are totally out of my league to use (got two of them) :rolleyes:

Currently, I use a stupid staysharp plastic tool which doesn't live up to expectations. When my Grandfather died I inherited his opel cutting manual grinding stone (you turn it with a handle) but I have never set it up - I was wondering if I could use it to sharpen knives... He used to sharpen axe heads on it so possibly I could use it although I need to fix it to a bench first.

So how is this Spyderco used? Do you draw the knife down one of those arms sticking up in the pics or was that just for show?

3. Steve

Steve Valued Member Premium Member

Yeah you hold the knife with the heel at the top of one of the stones (the angled sticking up bit) and holding the knife vertical you draw the blade down ending at the tip of the blade. Like a cutting motion I suppose but in one continuous movement. Then do the same on the other stone on the opposite side which keeps the edge equal. Do that for 20 swipes on each edge and then move to the next stone. There are two stones but each one has two grades of grit so you change up to 4 times. You have the corner of the stone which cuts the most and then the flat which takes off less on each cut. You only really need to do the first 2 grits to get a good utility knife edge but you can do the last 2 grits for a razor edge.

You might have noticed two brass rods sticking up also. These are only for safety so if the knife slips you won't cut your opposite hand which is holding the base. Not a bad system really.

I get really frustrated when using a dull knife so I have always needed to get something like this which was quick and foolproof but I didn't want a system that takes shards of metal off each swipe. They just kill the knife.

4. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    That sounds easy enough to me to use and I think the price is reasonable really, especially when you are sharpening an expensive knife.

The safety bars are a good idea I was wondering what those extra things sticking out were... Cheers

5. Tim C

Tim C Two heads are better than one Premium Member GOLD

This is my knife sharpener, it's the same as a lot of roo-shooters use, but has a scissor-sharpener as well (left or right handed). camera 106.jpg camera 107.jpg camera 108.jpg
    By the way, it's not brand-name or expensive. No ego attatched. I think it was $15 from Broken Hill Camping.....