Spaghetti pumpkin

Discussion in 'Food - Cooking, Preserving & Fermentation' started by Flatland, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Flatland

Flatland Well-Known Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Arid, Desert, or Dry
    I was given a Spaghetti pumpkin the other day & cooked it up with a tomato & veggie sauce. Really tasty & low calorie which is great as I am trying to lose some weight. So I have decided to grow some next year. My question is do spaghetti pumpkin keep as well as other pumpkins?

2. OskarDoLittle

OskarDoLittle Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hmmm good question (I'm assuming this is the same veg as spaghetti squash right? A fairly large, oval yellow thing - grows like a pumpkin?)
    I've tried them only once and found them a bit blander than Gem Squash - a Sth African grown veg that does well in QLD (in my experience). Online sources suggest they'll store up to 3 months in a dry cool place (I usually find with other winter squash you get a bit longer if you're brave enough)

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Flatland

Flatland Well-Known Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Arid, Desert, or Dry
    Yes Spaghetti squash. Same thing. 3 months is OK. If how I go with normal pumpkins is anything to go buy I won't get more than 3 months worth anyway

4. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I used to like spaghetti squash as we often had it when I was a child.
    Then, as an 18yo I was sent on my own to harvest a whole 20ac paddock at Bowen that had no shade.
    They were huge squashes, very heavy & the huge leaves were waist high.
    It was as hot & humid that year as it has been this year, & 3 days in a row I got heat exhaustion around the middle of the day.
    On the 3rd day I was taken to Bowen hospital & forced to spend a night or 2 in the coolth.
    I never really recovered from that as I have ever since had trouble with high heat & humidity.

Interestingly, I have not had spaghetti squash since then either! :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. OskarDoLittle

OskarDoLittle Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    If you're interested in trying some gem squash, let me know....hopefully my seed squash is sitting comfortably in the pantry until next August. (Though I might try popping a few in in July if it's a warm as last July) I'm happy to post seeds (so long as it's to a legal state of course!!)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I've never grown spaghetti squash - I've been meaning to for years! So much to try.... :D