Sometimes it sucks to be nice

Discussion in 'Food - Cooking, Preserving & Fermentation' started by Greyyowl, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Greyyowl

Greyyowl Active Member Premium Member

I lost one of my 3 wk old Light Sussex chickens about an hour ago. I had them (3) in my finished new quail coop giving it a test drive for me and they were crying to be put to bed in their normal spots.
    I went out to put a bit of lucerne dust in the corner and tell them they were camping out when one of them got her head under the bottom rail and when I sat it back down she was crushed. Nothing could be done to save her so I quickly put her out of pain and buried her and wondered if raising chicks to be so quiet is a good or bad thing.
    I know I think it's a good thing.
    Accidents happen, but maybe I could have prevented this one.
    Sometimes it sucks to be nice. She was growing to a damn nice bird too.
    The
    Owl.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    That's such a shame and I feel for ya - bird owners like us put a lot of time and effort into ensure they have the best life possible and when we lose one to an accident, dog attack, sickness, etc it's a real downer (I know it is for me) :(. Accidents do happen though, and for one mishap I'm sure there's a hundred more chooks you've saved for one reason or another in your time... So chin up :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Linda Langevoort

Linda Langevoort Active Member Premium Member

Sorry you lost that wee one. I know the painful feeling! Lost my first one just a couple months ago. You tried to do good, remember that.

• Like Like x 2