Solar-powered dehydrator

Discussion in 'Building DIY, Machinery & Tools' started by Tim C, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Tim C

Tim C Two heads are better than one Premium Member GOLD

Thinking about curved plywood moulds,(in pizza oven reply), the concept of a solar cooker could be modified for dehydrating. As a concept: a curved piece of plywood in a frame that is easily moveable/incrimentally adjustable, lined with a reflective (chip or other food packaging). That resultant trough is covered with perspex/glass. Facing the sun, it will always be tilted upwards at one end-the end that the hot air rises to. That is funnelled upwards into the dehydrator shelves. Hell, if it works well enough and you slow the air rate and make the oven double-walled, and run the hot air in between, it might even cook pizzas!
    I reckon a u-shaped trough, with silver in the bottom and black lining on the straight/upper/inner profiles, would near cook a pizza or bake a loaf of bread on a sunny day !!!:)

2. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    You're going to have to build one now and show us your solar dehydrator/oven in action! ;):D

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tim C

God knows, mate, this is the place to do it if it was ever going to work-lucky to get 30 cloudy days a year here.:heat:

4. Jenni

Jenni Well-Known Member Premium Member

Love to see a built one in action tim..

5. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    You have one of the best climates for outdoor drying. I once saw a YT clip of a guy in SA who sundried a huge bucket of Roma tomatoes in one day on a table in his backyard! That must have been a seriously hot day and a dry heat!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Tim C

Yeah, 38C here today.....cooling down tomorrow though. Up at Tibooburra I cured my 'backy in a day. Leaves on paper towel in a sealed zip-lock.
    Will ya look at that the censor thinks Tibooburra is a breast! edited the b-o-o-b !!??:censored::faint:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    LOL That's funny as :ROFL: ... They should call the town Tibreasturra - at least the censor is working albeit a little overdone in this case :dunno:

• Funny Funny x 2