stevo

Backyard Farmer
Premium Member
Jun 13, 2013
Clontarf, Qld
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
article here: http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2013/07/18/454825_gold-coast-news.html

This is a great story for the media, plenty of opinions for boths sides of the arguement. I have a few different views on this.

I saw the news story on TV and they interviewed the fella. He said he's had a few bad investments and lost a lot of money and now has put a lot of his money in to this idea. He didn't say how much it cost, but said he gets between 8 and 9 thousand a year, at a 55cents per Kw and locked in til 2028.

There's no way anyone can tell if he's made good investment until it's over, so i'd love to see how this goes over the next 10 years. I think it's a high risk investment really, soo many things can go wrong.

In one way, i think good on him for having a go.. but also feel sorry for the neighbours. I see the neighbours complain about it destroys their view? What about how his view was also destroyed when they built that two story house next door?

an entertaining story anyway.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
May 27, 2012
Bellmere, QLD
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
My wife told me about this story (she heard it on the radio).

How does he get away with such a big system when residential solar in built up areas has a permitted max of 5kWs according to QLD law? Only commercial properties are allowed over 5kW - well, that's my understanding anyway...

Aside from that, it is a bit silly I think. I mean, it's guys like him who has ruined it for everyone else by taking advantage of a generous solar scheme and getting greedy. If you are making a few hundred out of your system per qtr I'd say fair enough but 10K!!! Come on ref!

Steve

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jun 5, 2013
Brisbane Australia
Yeah I can see both sides but it is pretty big.
Every time i see a solar panel on a house in the suburbs i find myself smiling but this one might not have the same effect.
More like a '***' look probably. :confused:

Its funny how in Australia we are so concerned with how things look and how people perceive things, and then ultimately what it will do to the resale value of your home (in this case). Some of the countries I have travelled to (less fortunate countries) wouldn't give two hoots about what joe-blogs builds next door, they are more concerned with where their next meal is coming from. We were probably there back 100 years ago but now we are so 'advanced' that our priorities have shifted from that of necessity to greed and over-indulgence. So that makes us the lucky country i guess.

So is this guy doing it to be self-sufficient or to make money? Maybe a bit of both but probably weighted more to the 'money' side i think.
Thats were I would start to ask questions when it comes to what his motives are, and then at what cost. Harmony in your community has a large part of a happy existence. I cant see his neighbours sharing home-brew or cider with him or vice versa. :cheers:

It will be interesting if we hear any more on this story....

Reactions: Mark

stevo

Backyard Farmer
Premium Member
Jun 13, 2013
Clontarf, Qld
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
yer i'm not sure how he could have such a big input to the grid and at the rate he's getting. The council said they don't have regulations about how solar panels are mounted so couldn't do anything about it.

He did say that it's an investment, so he is trying to make money, but I think it's probably a bad investment, to go along with all other bad investments that he's made, because it'll probably get pulled down once someone works out how.

Good points there Steve :cheers:

I don't mind it, but glad it's not next door to me :ROFL:

Tim C

Two heads are better than one
Premium Member
GOLD
Aug 6, 2014
Aesthetics should not be taken into account. At all. Ever. Never, ever,ever. Otherwise I would have every city in the world dismantled by my bitching. A 1km square minimum allotment to prevent such vain and pathetic whingeing and the decentralisation of population is my ultimate utopia. No power grid. No sewerage. No build-up of population, vanity or city-centric dependence. At all. Ever. I lust in awe at the man who covers every unused inch of his allotment with solar panels, whilst maintaining self-sufficient gardening and livestock practices. A serious stock-take of values is needed by anyone who rejects the right of an individual to do their own thing on their own property.
In my little town I can no longer let my dogs off their leash, leave my boat in the water overnight nor have a beer in the street. Take your city-centric crap and shove it forever where the sun don't shine. Take your rules and regulations and shove them too. Your(city peoples) holier-than-thou attitude and encroachment on freedom is neither wanted nor needed. I will never accept the blind stupidity of centralisation nor its ignorant supporters opinions. 'As long as it's not next door to me"???What is your point Stevo? Do you strive for self-sufficiency, yet deny it to your neighbour? Or do you see self-suffiency as something to be regulated by guvment?? That is called Orwellianism. Our opinions of what self-sufficiency is should be unified and absolute, not open to debate by mediocre and fence-sitting fly-by-nighters. Either you strive to live in a plumbed in ****-hole, or you don't. I strive to self-sufficiency. That includes all aspects. Especially the social, political and community aspects. Not bagging your neighbour, but hooking into his excess, off-grid power and supplying him with veg,bore water, or a similar reciprocal arrangement. Denying government any opportunity for forced involvement and therefore control in personal issues at all and every level.Ingenuity is Gold. Information is also gold. Gold for guvments to extract, exploit and squander by the stroke of a pen, and I for one think that is not just wrong, but criminal.. They look for the easy buck rather than creating prosperity and employment through the ingenuity of the many. They stifle and penalise, rather than promote or perpetuate. Penal, colonial, capitalism. Not democracy. Not Justice. In the eyes of the guvment we are their prisoners, as was, and as still is.
I piss on them all.
Ned Kelly is my God. Rodney Clavell is my Martyr. Julian Assange is a LIVING SAINT.
Federal Traditionalism is my political stance.
The re-introduction of Aboriginal/Regional values and hierachy, through a Federal(Not ACT) governance and guidance. Cities unto cities, country unto country. The complexities of centralisation shall be of no concern nor impact to traditional and country areas once self-determination and self- governance are re-established.
Disillusioned city-folk will seek the country, despite the varied hardships, as opportunity outside centrality will increase. A two-fold positive for country and people, at the demise of a foul and corrupt political system that is representative of neither city nor country, only greed and corruption.
If no change happens, it will be the masses in the cities that will attack the politicians and burn their establishments and murder their supporters. Mark my words.
I relish the day and add my scorn.
It is the inevitable result of a regime that lives in a fantasy, and I would compare it to Tsarist Russia. History will repeat itself. Hopefully a connected and enlightened collective will see that communism is not the result.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
May 27, 2012
Bellmere, QLD
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I also hate this centralisation crap the govt continually goes on about... we need to build up and live closer together??? Yeah right o_O For the benefit of who? Not the people that's for sure!

When I lived in Sydney on my 400sm rental you could hear the neighbor take a pee - awesome :thumbsup: :sarcasm:We couldn't wait to get a bigger property. It didn't need to be acreage either but just a better planned suburban block with the room for a garden and some animals. We couldn't be happier these days... of course if I won lotto I would probably buy a small farm but I don't play lotto and like I said we're happy on our 3 acres.

The biggest problem with centralisation is exactly the reason why this guy and his solar panels are so controversial because even small changes can affect and upset neighbours for loads of reasons. The more people they cram into a suburb the worse the atmosphere gets and the likelihood of confrontation increases.

Tim C

Premium Member
GOLD
Aug 6, 2014
Yeah Mark. It's a happy medium somewhere in between. People trying to do to much on too bigger acreage end up suicidal through despair, but people living in a close and confrontational atmosphere end up shooting each other. There IS a happy medium which we should all strive for. Whatever you're comfortable with. But for gods-sake don't bitch about the neighbours, or you'll end up with a bullet in you-or worse! Strange how people get so isolated in the big smoke. It all comes down to dis-satisfaction, and no option of change. Or perceiving there is no option of change. That is where the guvment need to mind their P's and Q's.
I was dating a bird from the city for a while. On a trip down there, I suggested we should go down to the local soccer/community club. She stated that despite living 400 metres away her whole life she had never been there. They were rough. Bikers, Mediterranians, Arabics and skinheads. They looked at me sideways when we walked in, but after a bit of friendly banter and telling them I was from "out bush", we had a wonderful night. A more sincere bunch you could not find anywhere.
We're all human, mate. Except the pollies. There are certain life decisions that mean you forfeit your right to be considered Human, like treating humanity like animals and ignoring basic human rights for self-benefit. Line 'em all up against the wall, I say.

Tim C

Premium Member
GOLD
Aug 6, 2014
Yeah. Real people. I would trust them all before the guvment.

Tim C

Premium Member
GOLD
Aug 6, 2014
I have my reasons. Very,very good reasons.

Tim C

Premium Member
GOLD
Aug 6, 2014
Hey Mark. Have a look at my new homebrew thread in recipes mate:cheers: