Tip Small homemade heater

Montse

Premium Member
It is cold in Europe now and Spain* has been hit hard by the economic crisis. Recently I read this tip in a Spanish newspaper, originally from British journalist Dylan Winter, on how to build a small heater "using just tealights, two flower pots and a bread loaf tin":
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...49357/Heat-your-home-office-for-8p-a-day.html
I like its simplicity. There are some concerns about safety and unpleasant small among the responses to Winter's video, but there are many positive responses too. It may work for a grow room. What do you think?

*Right now, in Spain, the price of electricity is €0.19 per kWh, converted to Australian dollar it is approx. $0.29 kWh, the unemployment rate is 20.7% and the median (or most common) salary is less than €15,000 per year, about $22,000.

Last edited:

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
It is cold in Europe now and Spain* has been hit hard by the economic crisis. Recently I read this tip in a Spanish newspaper, originally from British journalist Dylan Winter, on how to build a small heater "using just tealights, two flower pots and a bread loaf tin":
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...49357/Heat-your-home-office-for-8p-a-day.html
I like its simplicity. There are some concerns about safety and unpleasant small among the responses to Winter's video, but there are many positive responses too. It may work for a grow room. What do you think?

*Right now, in Spain, the price of electricity is €0.19 per kWh, converted to Australian dollar it is approx. $0.29 kWh, the unemployment rate is 20.7% and the median (or most common) salary is less than €15,000 per year, about $22,000.
Those electricity prices are very expensive for a country going through economic difficulties and such a low wage base. Australia's average electricity price is higher (not by much) at about 23 cents per kWh but our average wage is about twice as much.

In my view high energy prices is one of the main evils in our world today and any good ideas to help people save money are welcome.

This mini furnace is such a simple idea I think it's terrific! Good find :thumbsup:

Hopefully it'll save some people money especially those who are doing it tough through the GFC.

I note at the end of the article they mentioned he is not making any money from the millions of views due to Google closing down his advertising because of trolls "demon clicking" or "ad bombing" on the ads associated with the video... some people in the world are just pathetic...

Montse

Premium Member
Hi Mark,
The flowerpots-heater idea is becoming popular among impoverished Spaniards. Dylan Winter explained that this system was used in UK in the air raid shelters during WWII.

www.ecestaticos.com_file_53c0aef7dd84ff7e95abbfee82e5103f_1386086308.jpg

About the advertising issue, it is sad that Google AdSense can fire people like they did with Dylan Winter, without human intervention, just based on its algorithms. AdSense Terms of Service state for example that "Google reserves the right to refuse participation to any applicant or participant at any time in its sole discretion"...

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
That's cool ...err I mean hot :D

I'm going to try this - got all the parts already! Most people would have a few pots and tea lights around the home.

About the advertising issue, it is sad that Google AdSense can fire people like they did with Dylan Winter, without human intervention, just based on its algorithms. AdSense Terms of Service state for example that "Google reserves the right to refuse participation to any applicant or participant at any time in its sole discretion"...

Yep, you're quite correct, however the good news is other advertising entities are starting to make ground on Googs so they might be a powerful monopoly for now but possibly not the future...

Top Bottom