Setting up the Tower Garden

spector

Premium Member
GOLD
Jul 15, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
This thing is about ten years old and has been sitting outside most of that time (and looks it). I was pretty sure it was a waste of time, but I bought a new pump for it, and I spent about two hours cleaning out the old rockwool and scale from inside. Plugged it in and BOOM - works like a champ! I am waiting on some fertilizer supplements to come in (as well as pH tester and balancer), but my hope is to grow lettuce (and such) this winter. I have just a regular shoplight over it for now, so no ambitious sun-loving plants. The Tower Garden is currently sitting in a utility room, in a corner. In the winter, the temps in there drop to about 50-60F, so it should be perfect for lettuce, spinach, and such.

In its heyday, I had this out on my deck and grew cucumbers and melons in this thing, so it can definitely handle larger plants, but they were a bear to clean out afterward, as the roots would almost fill the "tower" portion. Also, I didn't like having a water-filled tank sitting on wood all year, both for the moisture and weight. So I moved it downstairs and next to the house, and there it sat, waiting.

I am glad I got it up and going again. It wasn't cheap back when I bought it, and they are ridiculously priced now. I paid about $350 for it back then. I used it regularly for a few years, then it started plugging up because of the horrible water quality here, and it was a pain to clean out, so it got used less and less and then not at all. If it works well for me in this capacity, I won't feel like I wasted my money on an impulse buy (which, ten-ish years ago, I did).

I filled it this time with the same water as before (good water but HIGH TDS that clogs up everything over time), but I am hoping to do all top-offs with distilled water, to dilute out the solids. It is just too expensive to fill it the first time with bottled water.

Attachments

Reactions: DivingTemptress

spector

Premium Member
GOLD
Jul 15, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hadn't thought about strawberries, but I have a bunch of runners that need to be planted. Thanks!

daveb

Premium Member
GOLD
Oct 22, 2020
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
i gave sister one of these style towers for her house one suggestion place it on a wheeled cart you can turn so you can rotate it around for sun or set you some light bars around it for grow lights. she had numerous herbs in hers and had strawberries but her cat lover to rip the strawberry plants out