Self-built solar setup takes retired man off the grid

Discussion in 'Energy' started by stevo, Jul 7, 2013.

1. stevo

stevo Backyard Farmer Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Here's an interesting setup, this is what i'm trying to acheive with my little offgrid system.

http://www.abc.net.au/local/audio/2013/05/30/3771143.htm (radio interview with a fella)

===============
    Quote: "My estimated bill for this coming quarter is going to be under $200 and most of that will be service availability charges that they snuck in on us."
    Unlike some solar systems, the power is not put back into the grid, but stored in batteries. "
    ===============

2. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Nice find! I enjoyed that. Personally, I wouldn't have the ability to make such a DIY solar panel setup but I certainly admire this old fella for making his own - smart man. He went from $1200 a quarter to $200 and most of that being service fees - now that's satisfaction :chuffed:

I can see this become popular because there's no effort on behalf of our politicians to curb the rising cost of electricity... they do a lot of yabbering but no action. The consequence of endless electricity rises will be many more DIY solar setups like this one to circumvent the grid in the future IMHO.

3. stevo

stevo Backyard Farmer Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    i think the cost of the batteries will put off most people, but as you say, i'm sure it will become more popular.